VMware Communities
BoxerBHAI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Annoying Beep in Workstation 10.0

Hi All, Thanks for all the help in advance. I am using VMware Workstation 10.0, i have a pool of Server 2008 R2 installed among other few Operating systems, Whenever i boot up my machines i get this really annoying beep sound. I have added mks.noBeep = "true" in config files, still no luck, Please help, i have these servers i restart frequently and its reallly annoying. i am using a custom build laptop with 16 gb RAM and i7 4770

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

The user UnitUniverse2 seems to have a solution for the beep problem here: Workstation 10: Windows 8.1 not recognized and beeps from pc speaker after starting VM?!

Apparently you have to change your virtual CDrom into IDE mode to get rid of it.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

The user UnitUniverse2 seems to have a solution for the beep problem here: Workstation 10: Windows 8.1 not recognized and beeps from pc speaker after starting VM?!

Apparently you have to change your virtual CDrom into IDE mode to get rid of it.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The workaround that Wil provided should be effective.  We have already fixed the underlying issue internally, and that fix should be available in the next patch release of Workstation (although I don't know precisely when it will be released).

Sorry for the trouble!

--

Darius

dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This issue is addressed in Workstation 10.0.2, which was recently released.

After updating Workstation, the VM should no longer issue PC speaker beeps when booting with an AHCI or SCSI controller which has an attached a CDROM drive but no hard disk drives.  If you have snapshots of running VMs, or if you have suspended VMs, those VMs will receive the fix when they next power off – restarting/rebooting the guest is not sufficient, and they will continue to issue spurious beeps if they are rebooted before the next guest power off/power on.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos