VMware Communities
Bazagee
Contributor
Contributor

Alsa sound. Device or resource busy.

Firstly sorry that my Linux skills are a little lacking and if I have not provided enough information please ask for it and treat me as the newbie I am. I've been through a bunch of new and old posts on the issue trying them without success.

I'm running Pro v16.2.1 on Ubuntu workstation (20.04.3 LTS) staring Workstation as root so as to access RAID storage holding my VM's (its local storage). Sound works fine in Host Ubuntu and for a while in the Win10pro VM but now I see there is not folder /dev/dsp and get the sound will start disconnected. I've read through a bunch of VMware and Ubuntu descriptions on the issue - notably that Ubuntu doesn't use or load OSS. For that I've tried loading OSSpd which hasn't made a difference unless I'm not actually starting/running it after a reboot.

The /dev/dsp folder is not created either which documented also. Since I use the Win10 as my daily admin box this not idea to be without sound. If someone could make suggestions with instruction or links I'd be grateful.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Bazagee
Contributor
Contributor

1120 views and not one reply. I must really suck at writing this stuff.. lol. I'm close to abandoning the product if I can't get this working but will try to give some more info if anyone has any suggestions. Lets start from the beginning.

I definitely have a Linux permission issue from the get go. I start VMWare WS under root (sudo su
 vmware &) so it can access the Raid mounted volumes. I'll get write error permission root@<computername>:/home/<username># I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/etc/vmware/hostd/proxy.xml"  - then
Failed to create secure directory (/root/.config/pulse): Permission denied  On looking there is no etc/vmware/hostd folder created.

From there in all VMs I'll get the ALSA error already posted and no sound device available for any Guest VM.

Also in my Win10 VM I can install VMware tools but every time I shut down the guest. VMware will bitch that doesn't have VMware tools installed in this Guest VM. 

0 Kudos