VMware Communities
eei1
Contributor
Contributor

All guests get BSOD on startup in Vista Host.

I got a new computer with Vista and i installed Vmware Workstation 6. I copied my previous images which i had run on WinXP host and Workstation 6. When i try to start them on Vista i alwasy get a BSOD after the splash screen of the guest OS appear.

The BSOD is saying:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

blabla...

Technical information:

• STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC000005.....)

Ive eve tried Vmware Player and i get the exact same BSOD. Running them as administrator etc. Tried setting network to local only, tried removing all components except cpu, memory and disk.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
eei1
Contributor
Contributor

The BSOD occur in the guest OS and not on the Vista Host.

0 Kudos
eei1
Contributor
Contributor

Any tips?

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post a full screenshot of that error?

Also "vmware.log" from guest directory on host.

0 Kudos
alexhenderson
Contributor
Contributor

Is the system 64 Bit and do you have nvidia drivers installed. This seems to be a major issue and does not seem to be resolved anywhere.

Alex

0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert

I've seen a BSOD in MS-Windows guests, but only when resuming a suspended guest after MS-Windows Vista froze doing a sleep of the host. The sequence would be:

- suspend the VM

- wait for disk I/O to finish, usually several minutes after VMware thinks that it has finished

- leave the VMware application running (if I close it, I don't see the problem occur)

- sleep Vista host, and see whether MS-Windows Vista sleeps or hangs

In the case of the host hang, I often find that the guest(s) I had just suspended will blue screen during resume, possibly because MS-Vista has corrupted the stored image.

I've been working on finally getting linux, which is much more stable as a VMware host, to fully support my laptop hardware.

0 Kudos