VMware Communities
mprossau
Contributor
Contributor

All VMs broken after upgrade to 16.2.3 (Unable to open kernel device '\\.\VMCIDev\VMX)

Hi,

I recently upgraded by copy of VMWare Workstation Pro running on Windows 11 Pro to 16.2.3 build-19376536.

After that all Virtual machines refuse to boot and provide the below error message. VMWare Workstation was rebooted after the install. Any suggestions or recommendations on how to fix this?

--

Unable to open kernel device '\\.\VMCIDev\VMX': The operation completed successfully. Did you reboot after installing VMware Workstation?

Module 'DevicePowerOn' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

--

I've tried setting vmci0.present = "false" in the vmx files. That appears to fix the problem on a per VM basis - I'm trying to work out why the problem occurred, what the impact is of making that setting and a simple way to fix it across all VMs. 

cheers,

Michael

5 Replies
ggo98
Contributor
Contributor

I was looking for some information about this issue; I had the same issue with the 16.2.1 version, under Windows 10 pro, in early january 2022. It looks like it is still not fixed!  There is a 16.2.4, and still nothing about this nasty bug in the release notes.
Too bad... VMWare Workstation used to be great, but the latest versions suck.
This problem exists since at least 10-15-2021; see Workstation 16.2 apparently destroyed my VMshttps://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Workstation-16-2-apparently-destroyed-my-VM...

I had lost 2 or 3 VMs; I didn't want to lose the other VMs, and I downgraded to version 16.1.1 (the one I had before). This version was (and is) working fine.

VMWare should fix this issue quickly. I am now using 16.1.1 (maybe some more recent other intermediate versions still work properly, but I did not try them). I will probably never upgrade to/buy any newer version until VMWare confirms this issue and states that they have fixed it.

0 Kudos
jwclack52
Contributor
Contributor

Still happening w/ 16.2.4.  WTF are they thinking?  AND they make it so hard to downgrade that it's easier to just restore from a previous image rather than downdating the S/W.  I truly hate Hyper-V, but VMWare is going to force me to abandon their product (and I have 5 licenses).

0 Kudos
TSK_AU
Contributor
Contributor

If you're not using encypted VMs you can just do a search replace for the line.  I use notepad++ and search replace option via directories.

I would like to know why it's happening. I upgraded to vmware 17.whatever and all VM did it (including an encypted one....what a PITA that was to fix ...with zero official tools from vmware). New VM throw the message...so have to change that setting every time...would love to know a proper fix...

0 Kudos
deonpr
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue for 16.2.5....this is frustrating! VMware...is there a fix please?!

0 Kudos
jwclack52
Contributor
Contributor

...crickets...

Guess it's on to Virtual Box.

0 Kudos