VMware Communities
smilem
Contributor
Contributor

After virtualization very slow performance

Hello, I virtualiazed using vmware converter old computer pentium 4 1.7ghz 2gm ram, 120gb hdd.

This resulted in 100gb image file that I run on vmware workstation 5.5 on another pentium 4 3.4ghz 4gb ram, 200gb hdd computer.

However the virtual computer is unusable, the hard drive is constantly working. I applied the custom optimizations in the vmx file like disable unity mode.

This made huge difference, however it is still very slow and reads hdd way more than it should.

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Attach latest vmware.log to your next post  - then I can check your tweaks.

0 Kudos
smilem
Contributor
Contributor

Here are my files.

0 Kudos
smilem
Contributor
Contributor

Have you had time to look at my files?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
your combination of host OS win2003 and WS 7 is good. Resist the temptation to update host OS or Workstation. It cant get any better.
The tweaks you added are ok - I would have suggested more or less the same settings.
Additional you should better configure the CD-drive so that it starts disconnected or better - uses a local iso instead.
Remove the parallelports if you dont need them.
But the key problem very likely is the fact that it has been converted. If you have not already done so - take some trime and uninstall all services and drivers that are no longer required inside a VM.
And try to reduce the RAM even more - with 1200 or less I would expect better performance Your WS config is fine - no objections here.
Ulli

0 Kudos
_Royce_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had very little luck virtualising an existing OS. In the end I re-installed from original media and built it up from scratch. The end result was an extremely stable and fast performing OS.

This is obviously a lot of work but the end result was worth it.

Just a thought.

0 Kudos
smilem
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I uninstalled all hidden devices, that did not help.

Well another virtual OS is win 2003 server works with 300Mb RAM it flies Smiley Happy But it's clean install.

The whole idea was to migrate OS without the need to reinstall.

0 Kudos
_Royce_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well the way I see it you have 2 choices. Try to virtualise existing OS and resolve any subsequent issues (your current approach). OR reinstall from scratch the virtual and rebuild it step by step. From someone who has tried both approaches, I spent more time on the first than I did on the second. My outcome was that the 2nd method (reinstall) produced a substantially superior virtualised OS which has had zero issues since going live over 2 months ago.

The choice is yours. Good luck with whatever you decide.

ps. You could as a quick test do a vanilla install of your OS and compare the performance.

0 Kudos