VMware Communities
albgen
Contributor
Contributor

After updating to Workstation 9.0 my guests vm does not start

Hello,

i have just updated from vmware 8 to 9 and try to start my 2 virtual machines but they does not start. One is a windows xp guest and the other is a ubuntu one. Any idea why?

ps: i'm running vmware workstation on a 64bit machine.

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you get a warning or an error message? Please take a look at the VM's folder to see whether a new vmware.log is created when you try to start the VM. This file usually contains helpful information on what's going wrong.

Btw. I assume the VM's ware cleanly shutdown (not suspended) before you upgraded VMware Workstation!?

André

0 Kudos
albgen
Contributor
Contributor

No error is shown!

As attachment, the log of the xp guest machine.

ps: i think i have shutdown the guests normally. I do never pause them....

thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't tell see a specific error too. However, can you please try to reconfigure the VM to e.g. 2 vCPUs instead of 4, just to see whether this makes a difference?

André

0 Kudos
albgen
Contributor
Contributor

i have tried but nothing change. Cant start the guests...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As a workaround/test. Create a new VM and add the current VM's virtual disk to it.

Caution: Since your VM runs off a snapshot you need to edit the new VM's configuration file  (.vmx) manually and replace the .vmdk name with the one found in the non-working .vmx file. Do this with either VMware Workstation completely closed or at least with the VM's tab closed. Otherwise you may corrupt the snapshot chain.

If you are unsure, please consider to backup all files before you try the above!

André

0 Kudos
albgen
Contributor
Contributor

Does not work even if i create a new virtual machine and use the existing vm disk.

I'm going to install version 8 and see if the guests machines still works...

0 Kudos
albgen
Contributor
Contributor

I have reinstalled the workstation 8 and the guests now works!

I think there is a bug on version 9...

I'll keep version 8.

Thank you,

0 Kudos