VMware Communities
okonita
Contributor
Contributor

After uninstall of VMware Server 2.0.2, I am unable to reinstall WMware Workstation 7.1.3

Hello all,

I am running a Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit HP machine with ample ram and storage. After uninstalling vmware 7.1.3, and vmware server 2, I am stumped with reinstalling vmware 7.1.3 because there leftover registry entries that I could not manually remove. I am getting the following error everytime I tried to reinstall VMware7.1.3:

Error 1402. Could not open Key: UNKNOW\Components\....
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact ypu support personnel

(2) The MSI
C\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware_1294054780\vmwareworkstation.msi faile. Error 1402 - Could not open key

The offending registry items are as follows:

1ST Guid _ 2A31EAB9FA7E3C6D0AF18C3B9B1A1EE8
KeyName: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\2A31EAB9FA7E3C6D0AF18C3B9B1A1EE8
         HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\2A31EAB9FA7E3C6D0BF18C3B9B1A1EE8
         HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\2A31EAB9FA7E3C6D0CF18C3B9B1A1EE8

2nd Guid _ 2BC5FF3A53BF85647815E9EDD1563BAA
KeyName: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\0E3118066B3FEE6C0AF18C3B9B1A1EE8\2BC5FF3A53BF85647815E9EDD1563BAA

-------------------------

1ST Guid _ 6EC3DF47D8A2C9E00AF18C3B9B1A1EE8
2nd Guid _ 2BC5FF3A53BF85647815E9EDD1563BAA

-------------------------

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\VMWARE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\VMWARE\0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\VMWARE\0001

I have googled and and followed all the "permission" reset routing that I could find with no success. Can anyone clue me in on a known solution? Any tool or command script that can do this magic? I am desperate...

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
please work through this howto I made first
http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?solution_id=1113

Ulli

0 Kudos
okonita
Contributor
Contributor

Continuum,

Thanks for your response last night and I did execute the process as detailed in the  HowTo you provided the link for. Unforunately for me, the cleaner reported a successful run but installing VMware 7.1.3 /clean failed because the registry items were not removed.

Right now, I am thinking of restoring my laptop to factory status but what a waste if this is what VMware is capable of doing to a server or Desktop.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks

Okonita

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

do you still get this errors ?
Error 1402. Could not open Key: UNKNOW\Components\....

0 Kudos
okonita
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I still get the Error 1402. Could not open Key: UNKNOW\Components\.... and on the same registry entries that I verified still exist. I tried to delete them manually and of course got the permission error again

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

interesting - where are you located ?
can I directly have a look via teamviewer ?

0 Kudos
okonita
Contributor
Contributor

Continuum,

I am located in Schenectady, NY 12308 and yes we can try your suggestion. I'll like to learn how to use teamweaver in the process.

Thank you

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

do you have skype as well -  then we can chat along ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

did you ever try to load the COMPONENTS hive before installation ?

to do that you open regedit as admin

- select HKLM
- click menu > file > load hive

the browse to %systemroot%\system32\config\COMPONENTS and select it
when asked for a name enter "COMPONENTS" - without quotes.

After install unload the hive again

make a backup of %systemroot%\system32\config\COMPONENTS before you do this !

0 Kudos
okonita
Contributor
Contributor

Continuum,

No I don't have Skype and worse I have no idea about hive. What does it do?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

have you used regedit before ?

the "load hive" functions is shown in the screenshot
untitled.PNG

0 Kudos
okonita
Contributor
Contributor

Continuum,

Yes I use regedit/regedt32 very much over the years but not an expert. I did find the string HKLM but the "load hive" button wAS GREYED OUT.

Tell you what, I'll just re-install my OS and take it from. You have been trmendous in your effort to help resolve my issue.I'll award the points in full for  excellent excellent effort.

Again thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

"load hive" will be greyed out until you highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the left pane

0 Kudos