VMware Communities
howardr
Contributor
Contributor

After removal of Workstation 12.5.9 on Windows 10 parts remain in Windows 10 Pro Registry.

Upon removal of VMware Workstation 12 using the standard install program there is a large amount of data in the Windows 10 Pro registry which is preventing a clean reinstall of the product.

After I reinstall the program and bring up Workstation it still shows all the VMware virtual machines which were previously installed.  So the uninstall  program doesn't completely remove VMware Workstation form the my computer.

Now I have to go through my entire system/registry to find all instances of VMware entries so I can get a clean reinstall.

I know I should have backed up the Windows registry and/or created a restore point before doing this, but I forgot.

I ran Regedit as the system administrator and my Windows 10 Pro is currently to up to date with all Microsoft fixes.

Come on VMware developers, I thought more of VMware then this sort of thing. Remove means remove everything not just pieces of the program.

Did I do something wrong during Workstation install or removal?  Any help or advise to resolve this will be appreciated.  Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You can run the VMware Cleaner - see knowledgebase (I believe article 1308) - to remove all traces better.

It, however, *should not* remove any of your virtual machines!  That would be like uninstalling Microsoft Word and the uninstall deleting all of your Word documents you wrote with it!  Your VMs are your personal data files, not part of VMware product.

0 Kudos