VMware Communities
BrentC42
Contributor
Contributor

After installing VSphere Client 6.0 my Workstation 12.5 cannot use USB devices

I have been running Workstation 12.5.1 for a while now and yesterday I upgraded my VSphere client from 5.5 to 6.0. Now my Workstation cannot see any USB device at all. When I plug in a flash drive, for example, the icon for the drive no longer appears in the status bar and when I use the VM => Removable Devices menu, there is no USB menu item at all. It's as if my Workstation install no longer supports USB in any fashion. I have tried to repair the Workstation install and I have uninstalled both Workstation and VSphere and reinstalled them and that has not fixed the problem.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Brent Cowell

Camosun College

Victoria, BC, Canada

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

First thing I'd try is updating to the latest Workstation (12.5.3 as of yesterday).  I also believe a thread about this issue was raised a couple of months ago - and the issue was something different with the USB code between the version of vSphere Client, and Workstation.  Install the vSphere Client, then install Workstation.

0 Kudos
BrentC42
Contributor
Contributor

I will give that a try. Thank you.

Brent

0 Kudos
BrentC42
Contributor
Contributor

So I tried to upgrade to 12.5.3 and it made no difference.

I uninstalled Workstation Pro and I uninstalled the VSphere Client then I reinstalled first the VSphere Client and then Workstation Pro 12.5.3 and that too has made no difference.

Are there any other suggestions?

Brent

0 Kudos
BrentC42
Contributor
Contributor

I have an update...

Even after installing 12.5.4, I still cannot access any USB devices inside any Workstation. I have had no choice but to uninstall vSphere Client 6.0 and reinstall Workstation Pro. Doing this has given me access to USB devices again however, it doesn't solve any problems. Why does the vSphere Client interfere with Workstation Pro?

Brent

0 Kudos