VMware Communities
harfes
Contributor
Contributor

After Update to WorkstationPro 16.1 no network inside VM's

My host is a Win10 20H2 and I had run Workstation Pro 15.5.7 before without problems. After updating to 16.1 it was working fine but I've got the problem that after a reboot of the host no VM has a connection to the internet (on the host everything is still working). Every VM is set to bridged network and normal I just use and run one VM at the same time. I tried to recover the network (Virtual Network Editor set to default, althought I made no changes there). But the only thing working is to do a repair of VMWare Workstation - after repair and a reboot it is working again...but just until the next reboot of the host. So I assume that's a problem with the 16.1 version. Or does someone has a solution?

Hartmut

0 Kudos
9 Replies
harfes
Contributor
Contributor

I just take a look here if somebody has the same problem or a solution - but nothing at all! What I see if I look at the entries here in forum: there seems to be a lot of trouble with the network in V. 16.x

For me I now found out that if I start the Workstation Pro direct after the host is started then it is working - very strange! But better than do all the time "repairs". On my network cards on the host there is energy saving disabled. So it looks like that after a unknown time the network drivers for the workstation are partly "going down". Again: the VM get's a correct IP from my network but still "no internet connection" and "unknown network". Ping is not possible in and out. So it must be a somehow "disturbed" connection between Workstation and Host...

Has anybody an idea?

Hartmut

0 Kudos
LarsiDarsi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Hartrmut,

i had same problem after upgrading VMware from a previous version to 16.1 and Update my host to Windows 10 to 20H2.

My solution for all bothered users. Done in Workstation:

1. Click "Edit" -> "Virtual Network Adapter"

2. Click "Add Network"

3. Select a Network Adapter to add: "VMNET0"

4. Click "OK"

5. In "Virtual Network Adapter" select your pevious added network adapter "VMNET0"

6. Click right down "Change Settings"

7. In "VMnet Information" choose your connection type

8. In my case i use "Bridged" and select my WIFI-Network Card

9. Click "OK"

Thats all. Good luck.

Regards Lars

0 Kudos
harfes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Lars,

thank you for your idea - but: if I open "Virtual Network Editor" and apply "Change Seetings" there is already a VMnet0 (bridged). The (visible) settings for this adapter are correct. But for a test I deleted it and set up a new one..with no other result: if I start one of my VMs direct after booting the host, all works fine, if I wait some minutes there is no chance to get a network connection (it still says it is connected and get's an ip vom dhcp  but no internet).

So for me the question is, what part of VMWare is not starting correct or is canceled after some short time? All VMWare services are running correct and restarting them has no effect.

Hartmut

0 Kudos
harfes
Contributor
Contributor

So, I'm back to V. 15.5.7 and this version is working fine with the network.

The V. 16.x is no longer an option for me because it is too much bugs with the network...sometimes it's working but mostly not...if you are fast enough after the reboot of the host you can be lucky that the network inside VM is working. But the advantage of a VM is (for me) to start it whenever you want, not only after a boot/reboot. So I hope VMWare is working on that bug...

Hartmut

0 Kudos
harfes
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like VMWare has worked on that network problem: I installed V. 16.1.1 two days ago and it is still working -> I can start any VM whenever I want with network connected.

Hartmut

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
RausB
Contributor
Contributor

After updating to the latest version today, I lost network on all my VMs.

I fixed the issue by using "Repair" in the VMware installer.

0 Kudos
RCS42
Contributor
Contributor

Something seems wrong with the VMware Bridge driver on the host network adapter. Disabling the Bridge Protocol on the adapter properties and enabling again seems to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
harfes
Contributor
Contributor

I'm no longer sure it is only a driver problem with the bridge driver: after updating to 16.1.1 everything was ok and it looked like the problems are gone. But after updating Windows with the june updates the problem was back. I tried updating to 16.1.2 but with no other result. So I have to do a repair with the Virtual Network Editor everytime before I want to use a VM...

By the way: I did not find a service for the bridge driver - is there another way to restart the bridge driver? In the Virtual Network Editor it is only possible to remove and new install the bridge.

Hartmut

0 Kudos
cj15
Contributor
Contributor

I also has the problem, my worstation is 16.1.
0 Kudos