VMware Communities
boydfields
Contributor
Contributor

Advice - Multiple independent networks using vlan

Hi all,

Would really appreciate some guidance.

Preface: VMware Workstation 15.5.6

I would like to run test lab networks, each one seperate from each other. For example, I may have a Windows Server 2019 VM with several Windows 10 VM's or I may have another network using Windows Server 2016 VM and several Windows 10 VM's.

Allowing them access on the network or ability to see one another would cause issues, DHCP for example would conflict with my router.

VMware Workstation virtual networking does not allow for VLAN's and only permits Bridged, NAT, and Host-only.

Only Bridged allows internet acess.  This is a must for me as I need a way to update all the virtual machines.  If they're stuck on NAT or Host Only, how do you keep your OS and apps up-to-date?

Any advice would be great.

Boyd

0 Kudos
10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Set your VLAN IDs inside each of the guest OSes?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
boydfields
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately there seems no way to do this.  I have checked the network adapter properties and it doesn't permit specifying a vlan.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This PowerShell command can: Set-NetAdapter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Only Bridged allows internet acess.

No - NAT also allows internet access.

> VMware Workstation virtual networking does not allow for VLAN's and only permits Bridged, NAT, and Host-only.

You can also use "guest-only" to get independant networking for VMs. - not mentioned in the documentation for unknown reasons.

T use "guest-only" select a vmnet not assigned in virtual network manager.

Then assign network-adapters as "custom" and specify an unused vmnet - for example vmnet7

0 Kudos
boydfields
Contributor
Contributor

I'll take a look. Thank you.

0 Kudos
boydfields
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry. I made a mistake. I use NAT for internet access.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by:

"T use "guest-only" select a vmnet not assigned in virtual network manager.

Then assign network-adapters as "custom" and specify an unused vmnet - for example vmnet7"

0 Kudos
boydfields
Contributor
Contributor

Does not work Smiley Sad

Set-NetAdapter -Name "Ethernet0" -VlanID 10

Requested operation not supported on adapter

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you run this to confirm the name of the adapter?

Get-NetAdapter -Name *

You would then substitute the name and your VLAN into this example

Set-NetAdapter -Name "Ethernet 1" -VlanID 10

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

see sanbarrow.com

look for the custom settings

0 Kudos
boydfields
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate your help but unfortunately I have already tried this.  Seems to be a limitation of the NIC driver VMware uses.

0 Kudos