VMware Communities
tonySdev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding a SCSI hard drive to Windows 2003 Web Server

Can someone provide me with an outline to install additional hard drives to a VM Ware Workstation using Windows 2003 Web Server.

I am using the demo version of Workstation 6.5. I want to add to more drives in addition to the 'C:' drive.

So far I created them using the VM>Setting>Hardware>Add.

Instructions explain to use the partitioning and formattting tools in the Operation System

When I go to Computer Management>Device Manager the two additional drive come up as VMware, VMware Virtual SCSI Disk Drives

It appears they are already formatted. The drive letter for them do not appear under my computer. Where is the partitioning and formatting tool?

How can I go to the System BIOS/CMOS settings to see the associated drive letter and configurations of the newly created virual disks?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Click into the console and F2 on boot or bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE" can be inserted into a VMX file.

Regards,

EvilOne

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can someone provide me with an outline to install additional hard drives to a VM Ware Workstation using Windows 2003 Web Server.

I am using the demo version of Workstation 6.5. I want to add to more drives in addition to the 'C:' drive.

So far I created them using the VM>Setting>Hardware>Add.

Instructions explain to use the partitioning and formattting tools in the Operation System

When I go to Computer Management>Device Manager the two additional drive come up as VMware, VMware Virtual SCSI Disk Drives

It appears they are already formatted. The drive letter for them do not appear under my computer. Where is the partitioning and formatting tool?

How can I go to the System BIOS/CMOS settings to see the associated drive letter and configurations of the newly created virual disks?

BIOS settings: The BIOS only lists IDE devices, not SCSI ones. So you are not going to find them there.

Drive letters are not a function of the BIOS anyway, but the OS. Use Computer Managerment-->Disk Management.

FYI: Both of these items exactly follow how you would do them in the physical world.

Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll just need to initialize them.

Look in Disk Management. It will run a wizard asking if you want to initialize the drives.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Please consider awarding points if this post was helpful or correct

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
tonySdev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, got it.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
tonySdev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I open the BIOS of the VM?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Click into the console and F2 on boot or bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE" can be inserted into a VMX file.

Regards,

EvilOne

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
tonySdev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it worked!

Thanks

0 Kudos