MarkColo
Contributor
Contributor

Add serial port to VM, get BSOD 0x0000007b

Jump to solution

The operating system is Windows XP and it was converted from a physical PC about 2 months ago.  It has been booting and working for all of those two months.

But this computer boots.  I have a snapshot I can reliably go back to.  And that snapshot successfully boots and reboots.

But when I add a single serial port (which is mapping to a physical port) it gets a BSOD on boot.

After getting the BSOD, if I remove the newly added serial port, it continues to get BSOD...  safe mode or not.

I am able to attach the "hard drive" to a different "computer" and read / copy files.

No minidump file was generated by the BSOD.

I have read through all of the STOP 0x0000007B VMWare community articles.  While I'm sure it is related those are all about SCSI drivers and boot devices.

This is a serial port...

Anyone have a theory or something to try?

OK, so far I have saved off a copy of the VMX for bootable and BSOD.

A file diff seems to indicate that SCSI is getting added.  I'll try to trim the BSOD VMX down and see what happens.  I might be able to salvage this myself but feel free to drop some knowledge on me if you have it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkColo
Contributor
Contributor

So that did it.

I nuked two lines of SCSI out of the VMX file and it booted.

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

Not sure why VMWare 9 was adding SCSI to a VM configured for IDE... perhaps that is going to happen everytime I modify the settings.

Don't know...

This VM had a horrible time converting from Physical to Virtual and it never worked when trying to do the community recommended SCSI fixes.

Perhaps when life slows down I'll clone it and try to convert to SCSI again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarkColo
Contributor
Contributor

So that did it.

I nuked two lines of SCSI out of the VMX file and it booted.

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

Not sure why VMWare 9 was adding SCSI to a VM configured for IDE... perhaps that is going to happen everytime I modify the settings.

Don't know...

This VM had a horrible time converting from Physical to Virtual and it never worked when trying to do the community recommended SCSI fixes.

Perhaps when life slows down I'll clone it and try to convert to SCSI again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos