VMware Communities
reedog117
Contributor
Contributor

ActivKey and VMware Workstation 6.5

I use an ActivIdentity ActivKey to connect to my corporate VPN. I installed in a Guest VM Windows Vista SP1 Enterprise 32-bit with my company's imaging solution. At the time, for testing purposes, my host OS was exactly the same thing. The ActivKey wasn't properly recognized and did not work correctly until I added the following line to my vmx file:

uhci.syncWriteback = "TRUE"

This seemed to consistently work, so I moved on to my next step which was changing my host OS to a 64-bit system. I wiped my host OS and installed Fedora Core 9 x64 to take full advantage of the 4GB of RAM in my machine. I installed ccid 1.3.8 as well as much of the pcsc-related stuff. Now, when I try to run the same VM, my Activkey only sporadically works about 30-40% of the time. I attached below an excerpt from my vm log from when it would not work. Basically, my VPN client would fail by repeatedly trying to read the card, and then spit out the following error.

An internal error has been detected, but the source is unknown.

(Error 0x80100014) For customized troubleshooting information for this connection, click Help.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the key from the VM would render the card even less recognizable, and Vista would not even properly recognize that there's a smartcard key there.

I'm also not sure if this is related, but when my ActivKey is attached to my computer and connected to the vm, pcsc_scan returns one thing, whereas when I first connect my ActivKey without attaching it to the VM, it outputs some very different information (see logs below).

Anything special I should be doing in my vmx file to get this to work consistently?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
reedog117
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if this would also help, but here's the output from my ActivClient Advanced Diagnostics utilty being run in my VM when my card is still spitting that error out.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMware has a major fix to it's Linux host support coming out with Workstation 6.5.1.

You should be seeing it in a few days.

Thanks for supplying all the information.

Let us know if 6.5.1 fixes the problem.

Thank You

~Rod

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Workstation 6.5.1 is now available for download:

http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/

0 Kudos
reedog117
Contributor
Contributor

I still have the same issues with 6.5.1. I also tried upgrading to Fedora 10 and it didn't work.

One thing I tried was uninstalling the driver for the Activkey, and then reinstalling the MS Smart Card USB reader driver. Afterwards, the Activkey worked for the rest of my Windows session, with the Vista PIN dialog showing up instead of the ActivClient PIN dialog. However, once I restarted my VM, I lost this capability again. Trying to reinstall the MS Smart Card USB Reader driver didn't get it working again.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the update.

I'm going to try to duplicate this.

~Rod

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What version of ActivKey are you using?

What color is the key - What is written on the tag?

Would you happen to be using this with HP?

That should help.

Thank You

~Rod

0 Kudos
reedog117
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am using this with HP. I have a gray key that says ActivIdentity Activkey SIM 48010-B AUG 07 B/N: 0772226

I'm using the most recent copy of ActivClient -- 6.1.98.

Pat

0 Kudos
RandyJ5150
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same key card. It used to work flawlessly with WS 6.0. I have never been able to get it to work with 6.5. Anybody know how to get this working?

0 Kudos
astrounix
Contributor
Contributor

Try adding this to your VM config file:

usb.generic.skipsetconfig = "TRUE"

I could not get activkey to work at all in VMware Server until I added this setting..

HTH

0 Kudos
tterpelle
Contributor
Contributor

What is that option supposed to do? It doesn't change anything on my Workstation 6.5.

0 Kudos
sstelter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I finally am running ActivIdentity in a Windows Vista guest (32-bit Enterprise) on Ubuntu 8.10 (64-bit version) under VMware Workstation 6.5.2. I had some trouble initially - i needed to install pcscd using synaptics (which also added libccid). I also needed to restart pcscd (don't forget to do this with sudo) at least one time while trying to figure out which removable device to enable in Workstation (two appeared - ActivKey Sim and Virtual ActivKey_Sim 00 00, enabling the latter finally netted a functional configuration). I'll be seeing how reliably this functions - I'm just happy it works and thought I'd share.

0 Kudos
ueli
Contributor
Contributor

hi

I followed the procedure of sstelter described in this same forum on Apr 5, 2009 11:33 PM but hadn't any success.

I'm using vmware 6.5.3 workstation on an up to date fc11 x86_64 host and an an up to date XP client with an ActivKey (for HP) and an ActivClient Reader (v. 6.1.3.98). When I connect to the "Virtual ActivKey_Sim 00 00" the whole system freezes, the mouse pointer disappears, no way to switch back to the fc11 host - cold reset of the machine.

I de- and reinstalled the ActivClient several times under all contexts I could think of.

any help is highly appreciated

thank you

Ueli

0 Kudos
dpb1
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem that ueli mentioned.

Workstation: 6.5.3 build-185404

Ubuntu 9.10

When I connect, mouse and keyboard freeze. I have had this working in previous vmware versions. Any ideas? Nothing helpful in the log at the time of the lockup. The system is still responsive, I can remote log in and kill the vmware process and at least get myself going again, but it does appear to be "locked up" so to speak.

Any ideas?

I attached a vmware log in case it's helpful at all, I can't figure anything to go on from it.

0 Kudos
dejanrodiger
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Here is how I made ActiveKey work in my guest Windows machine.

My setup is this:

Host machine is Ubuntu 10.10 x86_64 on HP EliteBook 8440p

Guest machine is Windows 7 x64 with installed ActiveClient Agent

On my Host machine, I installed pcscd even if this migh not be needed:

sudo apt-get install pcscd

sudo service pcscd restart

In VMWare Workstation or Player machine you need to exclude "Automatically connect new USB Devices"

Close VMWare and then edit vmx file.

gvim name_of_machine.vmx

I added the following at the end of the machine config file:

uhci.syncWriteback = "TRUE"

usb.generic.skipsetconfig = "TRUE"

usb.generic.allowCCID = "TRUE"

Save the file, start vmware, start virtual machine, login and after you login connect ONLY Virtual Active Key SIM 00 00 in the USB devices.

And everything is working.

I compiled this thread and the following thread http://communities.vmware.com/thread/124163

Dejan

-- Dejan
0 Kudos