VMware Communities
arbarath
Contributor
Contributor

Access Shared folder On a Host Windows 7 Computer from Guest Windows Server 2008 R2

Hi,

I am trying Windows Server 2008 R2, By installing it on a Virtual Machine. I am Using VMWARE Workstaion 7.

My Network adaptor is in Bridged mode and is able to get the IP ADDRESS, Internet etc.

I have another laptop on same network running Windows 7 and has shared folder.

1. Windows 7 is Host Machine - Has Shared folder with Advanced Sharing enbaled - No HomeGroup - Permission set to specific user only

2. Windows Server 2008 R2 is Guest Virtual Machine

3. Windows 7 Laptop - Has Shared folder with Advanced Sharing enbaled - No HomeGroup - Permission set to specific user only

The problem is, i am NOT able to access the shared folder of Windows 7 Host machine. But at the same time when i tried to access another machine ie. laptop (3), It immediately pops up for username and password. Whereas when i tried to double click on Windows 7 Host computer in "Network locations" NOT as vmware host, it says "You do not have necessary permissions to access". In Network places there one computer show as vmware host, which can be accessed but lists only shared folders through vmware shared folders.

I would like to access all the shared networking resources of host os inside guest os.

I have enabled folder sharing feature of vmware, through which i am able to access the host.

So what is the issue here, how will i able to access my host os shared folders inside server 2008 r2.

COMPLETE VIDEO ILLUSTRATION IS UPLOADED ON YOUTUBE video illustration

thanks.

Barath.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1. Firewalls turned off (for testing)?

2. Can you access that share, on the host, from the laptop?

Lou

0 Kudos
AnatolyVilchins

It looks like incompability issue.

Try to look at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823659

iSCSI Software Support Department

http://www.starwindsoftware.com

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
arbarath
Contributor
Contributor

HI louyo

It cannot be accessed even after disabling firewall.

from Vmware host or any other computer on network to Vmware Guests network shared folders.. it can be accessed.

from vmware guest to any computer on network can be accessed except the host computers shared folders (windows network shared folders).

HI AnatolyVilchi…

The article does not refer to windows server 2008 r2. I am using Windows server 2008 r2 as guest.

I guess the problem is because vmware connects to host machine by a default credentials, but is not accessable to network.

Is there a solution to this.. ? I posted the same problem in Microsoft forum as well.. but yet to get any response.

thanks for your responses..

barath..

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well it "should" work. I say this because it works here.

I have the following:

Workstation 7.1 (BETA) on a ubuntu host, 64 bit.

W2008R2 Enterprise Server with following roles:

DNS server

AD Domain services (domain controller)

File Services

IIS

Application Server

This DC is in an existing W2003 domain where the W2003 server is the boss.

The W2008 server is named WIN-BVB6E3LUNT0 (I forgot to change the default before I joined it to the domain, with an IP of 10.0.2.8.

On it, I have added a virtual hard drive that I use for testing stuff. The drive is shared as "data" and is open to everyone. On that partition, I have a test directory that is shared only to user Lou, it is named test. User Lou is a user on the Domain Controller and has a different password then user Lou on my Ubuntu host.

A W7 32 bit machine (among others) that I use for MFC development.

Now... I never, never, ever (well hardly ever) go to Network/My Network Places/Network Neighborhood/whatever and try to look at stuff. In fact, If I go to the W7 machine it doesn't even see the W2008 server (in the Network virtual folder) because it is not a member of the domain. When you can't connect, error messages are usually less than helpful. All this applies to real machines and virtual machines alike.

Test 1:

From my Ubuntu host, I open Konqueror and enter: smb://10.0.2.8/data/test into the Location field and I get a dialog to enter my user ID and password. It then connects to the share.

Note that, if I put the server's machine name in the smb: statement it won't connect because of DNS problems. This seems strange because I can ping it by name and netbios over TCP/IP is enabled. Since I always use static IP's and this is not a real setup, I didn't enter the W2008 machine as a DNS server in my host (resolv.conf), which would probably fix that.

Test 2:

From the Win32 VM, I enter:
10.0.2.8\data\test into my file manager (Directory Opus, nobody in their right mind uses Windows Explorer) Smiley Happy

Again, it asks for my user ID and password, then connects. I also run "net use z:
10.0.2.8\data\test /persistent:no" in a command prompt and I have a mapped share.

So, it will work (here). Let's see if we can make it work there.

Some questions:

Can you ping the W2008 guest machine by IP address? By name? From all other machines?

If you can't do either, you need to fix that before doing anything else. If pinging by IP doesn't work, post results of ipconfig/all

If you can ping the W2008 server by IP, can you connect with the share by IP address? Like, with:

net use z:
/persistent:no

Is the DNS server role installed on the W2008 server? If so, it is entered into the DNS Server properties of the other machines?

Is this a Domain Controller? If so, are the other machines members of the DC?

Lou

OOPS... Sorry, I misread your original post. Let me go back and do some more testing.

Edit again: I can connect to/from the W2008 Server VM in all directions. To/From the host and other VM's. What is different is that my host is Ubuntu and I connect to the Samba server on it. Again, using the IP address.

0 Kudos