VMware Communities
kwarnke
Contributor
Contributor

Access Guest OS over ports 80 and 443 without using standard/virtual NIC technoclogy

I'm looking for a way to access my Guest OS over ports 80 and 443 without using the standard networking (because my guest is running a VPN that blocks all other network traffic).

I'm thinking of something like the ThinPrint stuff where you can print from your guest to your host without using networked printers.

Does such a feature exist for Workstation 7.0?

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You want network-access to a VM without network ? ... ??

What about using a second nic for that VM - that should not interact with the VPN on the VMs first nic

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
kwarnke
Contributor
Contributor

network-access to a VM without network?? YES 🐵

If my VM Guest has 2 NICs the VPN will disable the second one when it creates the VPN connection, hence the need for network-card-less network connectivity LOL

The VMWare Shared Folders works so it's doing it without actually using the "network". I'd like a similar way to get INTO my Guest OS over certain TCP/IP ports.

I think our VPN software is nortell based so if anyone knows of "features" to do what I need please let me know.

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the shared folders use a backdoor channel - thats something different. You can't use that for standard networking that needs to access a special TCP-port.

To me this sounds like a misconfiguration or bug of that VPN-software.

Does it really block all nics ???

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
kwarnke
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it blocks all NICs, and rightfully so as they're trying to prevent the "Internet" from having access to the VPN which would happen if you had a working second NIC.

I'd have them open up the ports I need but I'm told our VPN software doesn't work that way. It either opens up ALL ports (split tunelling) or NONE. They can't just do 80 and 443.

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos