VMware Communities
falcon4fun
Contributor
Contributor

Accelerate 3D Graphics is buggy in 16.x

So. I've done quite lot of work to investigate this.

Case:
1. We have Workstation 16.x branch (doesn't matter 16.0 or 16.1)
2. HW Compatibility 15 or 16 (doesn't matter either)
3. We have some VMs with 4GB RAM with enabled 3d graphics acceleration and setted maximum memory recommended 1GB or 64MB (doesn't matter either. Starting to have fun?)
4. We have 32 GB ram with i.e. used 11 GB. So 21 GB free, yeah?

Problem:
1. We enable 1 VM.

What should we get?
1. Around +5GB RAM consumption to Host by my logic

What we actually get?
1. +8GB to Commit charge from 1 VM O_________o

15.x branch worked flawless. 16.x branch brings out of memory after launching some VMs with graphics acc.

Proof 

Explanation to chart: Orange - commit charge. Blue - Phys.memory

Totally default settings to Workstation. There is a VM which works well on 15.x and like piece of on 16.x
1 round: Launched with 3d acc with 1GB VRAM. When I click "start vm" it instantly eats 4GB commit charge + 4GB after it finally boots. You can see on the ProcessHacker chart clearly.
Commit charge changes: from 11 to 19GB

2 round: We disable 3d acc. Launching again. We get +4GB commit charge. 
Commit charge changes: from 11 to 15

3 round: Okay. Maybe I'm idiot? I will set max amount of graphics to 32MB. Launching again. And VM eats completely the same +4GB with total 8GB.
Commit charge changes: from 11 to 19

So. We can play here Dora The Explorer. We have 32 GB total. 32-11=21 free. We have 3 VM with 4GB ram. It should be 12GB plus-minus some overhead. But actually it is 24!!! GB with 3d acc!
What we will get if commit charge is full? OOM errors with random app force close.

Where? What? Why?
I repeat:
1. 15.x branch doesn't have such a problem
2. There is no difference between 15 and 16 HW compatibility. Totally the same problem with allocation.

The solution are few for now:
1. Don't use 16.x version
2. Don't use 3D acc.

P.S. It's not only my problem. I've seen reports about it from others (not here)

P.P.S. Some more screens. Why so much overcommit?

0 Kudos
0 Replies