VMware Communities
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor

Able to Bundle Desktop Software and Deploy at will?

We are in need of a desktop virtualization platform, I am currently testing VM Player.  What I would like to do is make a "desktop package", meaning create a Virtual Desktop that has the Win 7 OS, and includes all the 3rd party programs we install on our employee desktops (Microsoft Office, Win 7, Adobe Reader, .NET, Flash, and several other 3rd party programs we use on a daily basis.)

Right now I am creating a Virtual Machine with Win 7, then I go to that enviroment and run some installations like a normal desktop, long tendious procedure.

Is VM Workstation capable of creating these desktop enviroments one time and having me deploy them and 1 complete package instead of needing to create these enviroments 1 by 1?

hope this make sense, please ask me questions to clarify.  We have enterprise licenses for our products and dont need to input a license for each and every installation.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

yes - if licensing issues are out of the way - just create a VM with all the apps and setting you want.
When satisfied set the network card inside the guest to use DHCP
Finally shrink the VM to produce a small package.

then zip the VM and give it your users

0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the response.... when you say "shrink the package"  is that a standard function in VM Workstation?  can you be more specific?  thanks again...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

once you have the windows7 installed inside the VM and once you have installed the vmware-tools "shrink" is avilable from a systray icon.

Thats a tool that will reduce the size of the virtual disks

0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor

Thank, I created a Fresh Machine with Win 7 and installed and my 3rd party programs.  I shunk the VM as well.  I am now back in VM Player.

Lets say I want to create a new VM with this desktop I created what are the steps?  If I go to "File", "Create new Virtual Machine" I only get the option of Installer Disc and Installer Disc Image file (iso).   Whats the proper way to create a new desktop with this VM I shrunk?

thanks again

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

unzip the archive with the complete VM-directory
doubleclick the vmx-file
done

0 Kudos