VMware Communities
TharuR19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AVX instructions do not work in a virtual machine on a Windows 10 based computer that has an AMD CPU

Hi,

Issue; AVX instructions do not work in a virtual machine on a Windows 10 based computer that has an AMD CPU. And also can not enable AMD-V.

I have Acer Aspire E5-553G laptop. It has AMD A12-9700P processor. Bios manufacturer Insyde crop (InsydeH2O Bad manufacturer  I had ever seen). It could not have hardware level virtualization enabling function. So I cannot be able to run any virtual machine on the VirtualBox. But fortunately, VMware support to power on the virtual machine (Other VMs are working properly).

But when I go to power on  metasploit2 -linux vmware workstation in vmware it gives this error message "This virtual machine requires avx2 but avx is not present. this virtual machine cannot be power on".

VM.JPG

VM2.JPG

VM3.JPG

Please support me to solve this issue.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You don't say what version of Workstation you are using.

From past posts, this problem was due to the Hardware Compatibility version. Assuming you are using Workstation or Workstation Pro (not Player or Workstation Player 12.x), you should be able to change the Hardware Compatibility, in the VM menu, Manage.

Most versions if the VM hardware compatibility does not match that of the Workstation/Workstation Pro version, there will be an "Upgrade hardware version" or similar text (sorry I can't recall the exact wording) when the VM is powered. The text is located just above the specifications/settings displayed for the VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You don't say what version of Workstation you are using.

From past posts, this problem was due to the Hardware Compatibility version. Assuming you are using Workstation or Workstation Pro (not Player or Workstation Player 12.x), you should be able to change the Hardware Compatibility, in the VM menu, Manage.

Most versions if the VM hardware compatibility does not match that of the Workstation/Workstation Pro version, there will be an "Upgrade hardware version" or similar text (sorry I can't recall the exact wording) when the VM is powered. The text is located just above the specifications/settings displayed for the VM.

0 Kudos
TharuR19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry I did not mention the VM version. It's VM Pro 12. But did not work.

0 Kudos
TharuR19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks previously I did it wrongly it's for with VM. Still, issue with enabling AMD-V. Anyway thanks.

0 Kudos