VMware Communities
Michael_Gillen
Contributor
Contributor

A message to VMWare Support

I have found no way to give "feedbeck" to VMWare without paying for a support incident. Since I have no wish to pay for support for these issues that I have solutions for, I am posting it here in the hopes that they will get it. I decided to do this since these issues have persisted now for three versions:

Host: Vista 64-bit

I have run across these three VMWare bugs in Vista since VMWare 6.5.0.

Your Local Network may keep reverting to a unknown type.

Getting Vista to recognize your local Private network: with VMWare Workstation installed.

Run regedit

Find this key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\

Under here, you will find a list of 0000 to 0017 (at least in my case)

Next, run through the 00xx keys until you find the key that says VMNet with

a value of either "\DosDevices\VMnet8" or "\DosDevices\VMnet1"

Add the key "*NdisDeviceType" with a DWORD value of 1.

When running an update, after the reboot, you may need to cancel the install and start it again (as administrator). This is necessary if you get "The Directory is write protected" errors.

You may need to create the directories before creating or cloning a virtual machine since it cannot create them itself.

Thank you,

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Krellan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for posting. I try to post things here myself, to these forums, with a lot of keywords.

There's a lot of "gotchas" with VMware, and using the forums to build an unofficial knowledge base seems to be a really good way of keeping track of these gotchas.

If I don't post, I'll forget them myself! I've been trying to nurse VMware along on Linux kernel 2.6.29, and like Vista, it has a few wrinkles. It's good to have the knowledge here so that people can search for posts and find them, to solve the problems.

0 Kudos