VMware Communities
Mevox
Contributor
Contributor

A general sytem error occured: unknown internal error

Hello guys,

I've been trying to convert the physical hard drive, which is the boot device with Win 7 X64 on in to a virtual hard drive using in VMware® Workstation, version 9.0.0 build-812388. I am the administator on this machine. I also have a password and UAC is OFF.

I start vmware 9 ---> File ---> Virtualize a physical machine ---> Next---> type in IP Address, username and password ---> Next, then i get "A general sytem error occured: unknown internal error ( as per photo attachment ). I also attached the log file.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I would rather start the Converter directly with Workstation not running.

Also make sure you start the Converter via run as admin

0 Kudos
Mevox
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions.

OK, i used VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client and i got this error message (see attachment) i also attached the log.

I also ran it as administrator with the same results.

BTW i ran remotely and local VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client on my laptop and i was able to create a virtual machine out of it.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi  Mevox  ,

Welcome to communites .

Please go through below link hope due to some incorrect port

settings you are getting this error.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101005...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101005...

"Don't go through life, grow through life."
0 Kudos
Mevox
Contributor
Contributor

All necessary ports are opened (see attachment)

The machine has Intel core i7 920, 8GB ram, mobo Gigabyte UD3R v 1.6, HD is Intel x25m SSD 80GB Sata set as AHCI.

Steps i'm taking to convert:

Open VMware Workstation v.9

File> Virtualize a physical machine (which is the machine i am on now)> Next> Hostname or IP address of the physical machine (i tried both)> Username> password> Next and I get "A general system error occured: unknown internal error"

Open VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client 5.0

Connect to a local server> Login> Convert machine (top left)> Select souce type = Powered-on machine> Specify powered-on machine = This local machine> Next   eroor message on the same window " Unable to obtain hardware information for the local machine. "

I also disabled the windows firewall and AVG antivirus.

Like i mentioned before i am able to convert my laptop ( which also has an Intel x25m SSD drive) from both programs, remotely and local, i also wiped out the hd on laptop and installed a fresh copy of Win 7 X64 and i could convert it with no problems.

Message was edited by: Mevox

0 Kudos
Mevox
Contributor
Contributor

Bump

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The problem is your worker service - the server can not connect to, try to restart it..

If problem still exist you can try clean installation of the Converter 5.0.

HTH

0 Kudos
Mevox
Contributor
Contributor

Now it's working fine, i used the Converter application not VMW Workstation, i'm guessing the new patch had something to do with it.

0 Kudos