VMware Communities
gbozzetti
Contributor
Contributor

9.0.0 build-812388 and Windows 8 Release Preview - 30.08.2012

I followed the procedure indicated at url:

http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/2012/08/installing-windows-8-as-a-guest-operating-system-in-vmware-workst...

but after boot it crashed immediately.

I have linked the log.

There is a procedure to start this holy windows 8 or not ?

Same error with workstation 8.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

HI there,

Can you describe the crash in greater detail?

Is it Workstation that is crashing or is it the Windows 8 OS within the virtual machine?

Are there any error messages thrown on screen at the time of the crash?

Are there any relevent error messages being logged in the Windows event logs at the time of the crash?

Is this the only VM that causes a crash on your system?

How far does the VM get in the boot process before it crashes?

Regards,

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please  double check whether "VT-x" as well as "Execute Disable Bit" are both  enabled in your physical system's BIOS. If you need to change any of the  values you may need to completely power cycle the system after saving  the settings in order for them to take effect.

If this does not help, please post (attach) the Windows 8 VM's vmware.log file.

André

0 Kudos
gbozzetti
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8 OS within the virtual machine crash at the boot.

Appears: Windows and then the black screen i've been reported.

Is this the only VM that causes a crash on your system:

Yes, only with windows 8 (32 or 64 bit) RTM downloadable from the ms site.

How far does the VM get in the boot process before it crashes:

After the reading of iso file (i tested it before) and run the iso as boot.

I don't know what i must do. Now i am googling also.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Judging by several other reports of Windows 8 crashes with the stop code 0x000005d online (references include VMs running on VirtualBox, etc...) it appears that this issue has something to do with Windows 8 interacting with the underlying CPU within the VM.

I would do as "André" suggests and ensure that your physical machine's BIOS is configured correctly.

Let us know if you are still seeing the crash once your BIOS has been configured as needed.

0 Kudos
gbozzetti
Contributor
Contributor

I checked the physical bios of the machine:

The flags you reports are not present anywhere.

The cpu is Intel Pentium D 3.20 Ghz - Presler and it is dual core.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although the CPU is pretty old (in IT everything older than 1 year is already old) it should support the "Execute Disable Bit". At least according to the vmware.log you posted in your other discussion VT-x seems to be enabled (Bits 0 and 2 are ON).

MSR  0x3a = 0x5

According to this, your CPU seems to be the Intel® Pentium® D Processor 940. Often the Execute Disable setting is "hidden" in the BIOS's security setting, so you may want to double check this again. If the system vendor does not provide this setting in the BIOS you may be out of luck.

André

0 Kudos
gbozzetti
Contributor
Contributor

Non sense follow to step in the bios menu, without find nothing.

So i downloaded the identification tool from intel corporation and i attached the result as screenshots.

Seems that cpu doesn't have this flag feature.

So i am cut off from virtualization of w8.

Else i don't want try to partition to test w8 as physical, so i will find another pc to test.

Well, now i know that Microsoft cut off intentionally users that doesn't have latest hardware,

and only because i am developer i have interest in testing it, else with these chosen path,

i won't change anytime to windows 8 and say also friends to don't !

0 Kudos