VMware Communities
Raveheart
Contributor
Contributor

8.0.1 upgrade "Error 1326: Error getting file security..."

Hi,

Upgrading from 8.0 on Win7x64 the preliminary uninstall is failing with above message trying to access D:\Documents, any ideas on what permissions I need to set on my documents folder?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

please post the full message

0 Kudos
Raveheart
Contributor
Contributor

"Error 1326: Error getting file security: D:\Documents\ GetLastError: 5"

It occured approx 95% through "Removing packages from the system". I had to do a Win 7 System Restore to get workstation back but now I've lost the NAT connection for all guest machines Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
DCleveland20111
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing is happening to me.  I launched workstation 8 yesterday an got the popup regarding a new version.  I accepted and it proceeded to uninstall my current version.  I did get one message related to visual studio still running, so I closed down all visual studio instances and continued.  Eventually, I got a popup box with text, "Error 1326. Error getting file security:  \\ip.removed.com\users\myusername\My Documents\Shared Virtual Machines\ GetLastError: 50".

I'm wondering if this is related to the fact that My Documents is on the network and not located on my local drive?  I am an administrator on my machine, and I tried running the installer again and chosing repair and that worked.  I then tried to uninstall from add/remove programs and it failed again with the same message.  Now when I run the original installer to try to repair, the repair fails with the same message, so it appears that I am stuck.

0 Kudos
Raveheart
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I wondered if it was due to my documents being on a separate partition, though in my case the D drive is still local. I'm not on any domain on this machine and I'm the admin but wondered if this needs Local System or some such to be given permissions as I suspect it's ultimately the MSI that's failing?

0 Kudos
DCleveland20111
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so I have finally got my uninstall and subsequent install of 8.0.1 to work.  I believe the problem for me was related to MS Sync.  I performed the following actions...

1.  My Documents was in offline mode, so I performed a sync of My Documents folder.

2.  Modifed My Documents properties and changed offline mode to disabled.  This required a reboot of the system.

3.  After reboot, My Documents shows a regular network share (no longer has the Sync icon).

4.  Ran the 8.0.0 installer and selected repair, which completed successfully.

5.  Uninstalled 8.0.0 from the control panel.

6.  Ran the 8.0.1 installer and selected typical, which completed successfully.

7.  Launched vm workstation and started a vm to make sure license was still installed correctly, which worked.

0 Kudos
bobmourlam
Contributor
Contributor

I had this exact same problem on Windows XP x64 Edition 2003 and I tried everything in this post and every other thing I could find on the internet that I thought might be useful.  After several hours of messing around it turns out the "SYSTEM" group didn't have "Full Control" for my "My Documents" folder.  Once I added that the 8.0.1 uninstall worked fine.

Clearly "Error 1326: Error getting file security GetLastError: 5" means SYSTEM doesn't have permission to My Documents.  Intuitively obvious.  </sarcasm>

0 Kudos
Raveheart
Contributor
Contributor

In the end I restored entire OS from a TrueImage backup, made sure I (and System) had full control of My Docs and installed cleanly after that. Should have figured it quicker, I install Apps that need full control of My Docs folder all the time - NOT!

0 Kudos