VMware Communities
m_savazzi
Contributor
Contributor

8.0.1 not updating to 8.0.2

On the website the Workstation version is 8.0.2.

I have 8.0.1 installed and, if I search for updates, it reports that no update is available.

Can you help me understand  what's wrong?

The 8.0.2 setup I've downloaded does not perform update but requires to uninstall 8.0.1 and install 8.0.2... this is annoying...

M

0 Kudos
10 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

update never was an option - it is always uninstall old - install new version

if 8.0.1 works ok for you - stick to it

0 Kudos
m_savazzi
Contributor
Contributor

This is very confusing.

On the website it talk sof Update to 8.0.2

The sw has an update function

how you can say "update never was an option"

what is the update menu for? is not clear.

M

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The update menu merely goes out to check if a newer version is available.

As far as the website, it's an update vs. an upgrade.  Differences between major version changes and minor version or revision changes.

0 Kudos
m_savazzi
Contributor
Contributor

still confused

8.0.1 - 8..0.1

is an update not an upgrade

is a minor version change

the sw should update!

M

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, the versions may be a minor change.  But often, most of the services, drivers, and other files are ALL changed, at least to some extent.  The difference between a patch/update and the full installation would be so small that it would not be worthwhile for the developers to create it, and QA to test it.

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't see it like that. The GUI software updates should reveal that there is a new version available. In case of VMware policy it should be available in 2 steps. If there's a new major like from 7 to 8 there should be notice that there's a real new version but that I need to obtain it. Or in the case from 8.0.1 to 8.0.2 that there's a minor update and if I would like to download and install.

At least this was happening between 8.0.0 and the siftware update 8.0.1

And we're not talking about a software which is for free. Uploading the 8.0.2 version to the webservice and adjusting some xml file should be not that much work for someone at VMware. Or if it's such a dangerous version why not make it a beta which is time limited and add only the next stable minor version to the software update service.

I know a lot of programs which for sure gives hints about minor updates or even download and ask you to install it. Just my 2 pennies Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

version 8.0.2 was not even announced in the forum - probably for a good reason
the tools for standalone vmplayer are not available ...

looks like Workstation is no longer  regarded as an important product of the company

0 Kudos
m_savazzi
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree with Bernd Nowak, that's the expected behaviour.

0 Kudos
m_savazzi
Contributor
Contributor

It was on the website than disappeared...

... if you are right:

well let's all  move to Hyper-V Smiley Happy

I will start investigate Virtual PC and how to migrate from Workstation...

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

If the standalone tools for  VMware Player are not included it is a  downgrade (or downupdate if you prefer).  The changelogs for minor point  updates are always obscure.  They  include " suggestions from the community" - which  are never specified but if they break - well its our fault not VMware.  I have agreed before tht  WS seems not to be a major interest for VMware .  If this is the case a lot of  people have lost  a lot lof money  in a good faith investment- cetainly I have.   What does this  imply for the VMware Marketpalce??  This is not uncommon for both software and hardware.  Older products become "deprecated".  I noticed this from M$.   Their  'upgrade" of  Hyper-V as it appears  in Windows 8 not longer supports the Unix Tools for example.    As long as these companies make money there is nothing  for it.  The  odds of a  major 'strike" against MS., Apple l - or VMwae  are  nil.  There are many shareware programs for  Windows from small developers  that don't follow this line of "improvements" and fullly  document changes and improvements  from thie developer(s) new versions which you accept  or not.  I've  not followed my own advice many times - with VMware particulariy.  All we can do is make the best of it.  End of this rant.

0 Kudos