VMware Communities
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

8.0.1 - XP Guest 'There is at least one'

Hi;

I just upgraded to VMware Workstation 8.0.1 on a Windows 7 SP1 64-Bit host (from 7.1.5)

Whenever I start a particular Windows XP Guest I see the message

"There is at least one Virtual SCSI device installed on the Windows XP virtual machine". See the attached image.

I have an LSI SCSI device configured and the driver installed, so this actually works o.k.

This is probably a silly question, but how do I get it to stop popping up a warning every time I start the Guest? This didn't happen with the prior 7.1.5 installation.

Thanks;

-Greg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi gbohn,

Yeah, we have a bug open about this... the LSI Logic and Buslogic SCSI driver warnings seem to have gone crazy.

If you want to work around the issue, the following VM config parameters should help:

lsilogic.nodriver = "FALSE"
   buslogic.nodriver = "FALSE"

You can add whichever one corresponds to the driver it's complaining about (or there is no harm in adding both).  You can add it to an individual VM's .vmx file (while the VM is shut down, of course, and if you are not entirely comfortable editing the config file you should back it up first), or you can add it to a per-user ~/.vmware/config or the system-wide /etc/vmware/config and it should take effect at the respective scope if you have multiple users and/or many VMs.

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

we could disable hints in preferences.ini in earlier version but that no longer seems to work - at least not for this entry

dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi gbohn,

Yeah, we have a bug open about this... the LSI Logic and Buslogic SCSI driver warnings seem to have gone crazy.

If you want to work around the issue, the following VM config parameters should help:

You can add whichever one corresponds to the driver it's complaining about (or there is no harm in adding both).  You can add it to an individual VM's .vmx file (while the VM is shut down, of course, and if you are not entirely comfortable editing the config file you should back it up first), or you can add it to a per-user ~/.vmware/config or the system-wide /etc/vmware/config and it should take effect at the respective scope if you have multiple users and/or many VMs.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

> You can add whichever one corresponds to the driver it's complaining about ...

> If you want to work around the issue, the following VM config parameters should help...

> ... or the system-wide /etc/vmware/config

Sadly, the Guest I need to update is encrypted. If I open the .vmx file, I see encrypted stuff so I don't know how to update it without 'unencrypting' it. (Which I assume would take a while).

Since this is a Windows system, I was wondering what file I need to change to make this global? (I think the ones you mentioned sound like Linux ones...)

I found a  preferences.ini in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\VMware, but adding the entries

doesn't seem to help.

I also noticed that preferences.ini already has/had a similar sounding entry

hint.lsilogic.needDriver = "FALSE"

although that obviously doesn't seem to be helping.

Is preferences.ini the right file for Windows 7? Are those the right entries for preferences.ini?

Thanks;

-Greg

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi gbohn,

Sorry, I completely missed that it was a Windows host...  I've been mostly working with Fusion (for Mac) and Workstation for Linux lately, so my brain somehow tangled "not Mac OS host" with "Linux host"...  Elementary brain failure on my behalf.

Usually vmware.log gives the locations of the various config files that are read at startup, but I have never worked with encrypted VMs so I really can't advise you on how to figure this out for your scenario... I imagine that anything from logging to reading of configuration files could be quite different with encrypted VMs.

Anyone else out there with more encrypted VM expertise who can chime in on this?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

O.k. I think I got it figured out.

Looking at the log, I found that it was looking for a config.ini in the same directory as I found preferences.ini.

That is, C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\VMware (where xxxx is the user name).

I created a config.ini file, set the only lines to be

and now the warning on that Guest startup is gone. Hurray!

Thanks all.

-Greg

0 Kudos