VMware Communities
paucorre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

64 bits machines in ESXi running in Vmware Workstation

Hi All,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W510 with a i7 processor.

I have Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bits as the OS for my vmware Workstation 7.1.3 ( 64 bits), I install ESXi 4.1 as a VM in my machine, and now start to import VM from my ESX datacenter ( want to use what I already create in datacenter infrastruture in my laptop )

I was very surprise that when I try to start the Windows Server 2008 R2 or try to create an image from install CD's, inside my ESXi 4.1 it says :

msg.cpuid.noLongmodeQuestionFmt: This vistual Machine is configured for 64 bits quest operatiing systems. However, 64 bits operation is not possible. This host does not support VT. For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152. Continue wihout  64-bit support ?

Any  thing that I can tweak or change to make it work ?

Thank you,

Paulo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you cannot run nested 64bit guests.  In order to run any64bit guest the hardware assisted virtualization must be enabled (VT-x/AMD-v). When running ESX(I) as a guest, it is not possible to passdown the technology.

In conclusion, you can only run 32bit nested guests

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you cannot run nested 64bit guests.  In order to run any64bit guest the hardware assisted virtualization must be enabled (VT-x/AMD-v). When running ESX(I) as a guest, it is not possible to passdown the technology.

In conclusion, you can only run 32bit nested guests

0 Kudos
paucorre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you,

Paulo

0 Kudos
aleneves
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi guys !

I have a VMWARE Workstation 8 installed with 2 VM´s running ESXi 4.1. When I try to power on guest ESXi, I received a message informing that only 32-bits Gust OS will be supported in this VM.

Solution :

I shutdown the VM, perform a virtual hardware Upgrade via VMWARE Workstation (Virtual machine hardware version) and all works fine.

Now I don´t receive any messages and can install and run guests with 64-bits in nested ESXi.

Regards,

0 Kudos
princox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello? Aleneves,

I also has experience same problem now.

I installed ESXi4.1 on VMwork Station 8 and created Windows Server 2008(R2).. but i got a message...

Currently I asked mainboard manufacture (SAMSUNG) and check my laptop iCore 5 specification.

Please guide me how to deal with it successfully. I am a kind of a beginner.

SAMSUNG said.. if you can see the [VT (VT-x) Support] under sysinfo(Pheonix BIOS), it is running and enable. (I checked it)

===========

[Environment]

[PC] SAMSUNG, Core i5, 64-bit, 8 RAM, Winodws 7 Home Preminum Editon (Home OS)

[VMware] 8.0.0-build 471780

[ESXi] VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.1.0.updated1-348481.x86_64.iso (It installed on VMware Workstation)

[ESXi Client] Windows XP Professional (32-bit). It installed on VMware Workstation .

[Problem]

Description : When I connected vSphere through client, and then Create Virtual Machine.

Windows XP Professional (32-bit) successfully installed as Host1

However, installing Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit) w/ SP2 encountered with below message.

msg.cpuid.noLongmodeQuestionFmt:This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest

operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.

This host does not support VT.

For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152.

Continue without 64-bit support?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When running ESXi under Workstation, the messages about the 'host' refer to the virtual machine running ESXi.  To enable virtualized VT-x, go to VM->Settings for the ESXi VM.  On the right hand pane of the processors tab, select "Virtualize VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI."

0 Kudos