VMware Communities
PerryNeil
Contributor
Contributor

64 bit guest OS on Dell Poweredge 840

I have just recently started using VMware at home. I just bought the Dell with an Intel Xeon CPU 3050 model 15 stepping 2 processor. Workstation 6.02 will not allow me to load the same 64 bit OS I am running on the host. I downloaded the checker exe and it says my machine is fine.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you checked the BIOS to make sure VT is enabled. Out of the box, I think it is disabled.

Bala, Dell Inc.

Bala Dell Inc
PerryNeil
Contributor
Contributor

Balla

Thanks I did stumble onto that last night and called Dell support to see if I could enable it from the Open Manage tool.

The short story is it is enabled but I still cannot load a guest 64 bit OS.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you power-cycled the host after enabling VT in the BIOS? Changes to the 'Enable VT' setting do not take effect until the next power-cycle.

If you are still having problems, download this ISO, burn it to a CD, and boot the host system from the CD. It will tell you whether or not VT is enabled on all CPU cores.

PerryNeil
Contributor
Contributor

No I have not had the chance yet to power cycle. I was going to last night but it was 0200 today actually and I had to get to bed.

So far tonight my wife has had me busy as she knows it is hockey night. After Hockey I will try. Iwill also try out the utility.

Will update later tonight.

Cheers

0 Kudos