VMware Communities
rolsch_vm
Contributor
Contributor

6.5: Unity - Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit with Intel Quadcore and Nvidia 8800 GTS don't works?

Hi workstation fans Heart

I've installed the new workstation 6.5 - 118166.

The host systems run on vista ultimate 64bit sp1, intel quadcore and nvidia 8800 gts (b-driver 177.92).

When i switched to unity-mode the console was minimized and i see the "unity-guest-button" by the start button on the host desktop.

Mow, i started - example - the paint programm, it was not shown on the host-desktop.

After unity off, i see the paint program in the console...?

regards

Roland

0 Kudos
79 Replies
n8dnx
Contributor
Contributor

And yet another with what appears to be the same problem.

VMWare Workstation 6.5.1 build 12613, Vista Business 64 Bit Host, Ubutu guest, Quad Core Q6700 @ 2.66GHz 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX

Can't start applications fromt he Unity menu. Watching processes on the guest it looks as if the requests just aren't getting to the guest at all.

0 Kudos
sirkirby
Contributor
Contributor

All... It seems i indirectly fixed my issue by addressing an issue i was having with my nvidia drivers and nvidia control panel. My issue with Nvidia was that the control panel would no longer load and kept crashing on me. I assumed it was just an issue with the latest drivers so i was eagerly awaiting last friday's graphic driver update... but my problem still existed after the update. So, i found some instructions on another forum explaining that i would need to turn off automatic driver updates in vista and remove all of my nvidia drivers an tools from the system, including chipset... then reboot in safe mode and install the nvidia chipset and the latest nvidia graphic drivers (in that order)... Once i completed that and rebooted, i discovered that VMWare workstation would no long load, complaining about some missing dll's (can't remember specific)... anyway, it suggested that i reinstall, so i ran a repair via the Programs and Feature control panel and rebooted as instructed. When everything came back both my Nvidia control panel and Unity worked as it should!

I don't know if your circumstances are the exact same as mine, but i would definitely give it a shot if your running an nvidia chipset and graphics system. Its still hard to tell if this is an Nvidia conflict with vmware or vice versa, but i wish someone would at least own up to it... anyway, good luck and please let me know if this works for anyone else.

Chris

0 Kudos
aksnet
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

i have exact the same issue.

I'm running an AMD dual core athlon system with 2 ATI Graphic Cards and vista ultimate x64 + SP1.

Vmware workstation 6.5.1.

Now in unity mode i only see the vm menu bar, no windows etc.

I found out what my issue was: Avira Antivir Premium, but not all parts.

I removed the AntiVir Guard, AntiVir MailGuard and AntiVir WebGuard. So i only have the Virus Module Installed AntiVir Premium and the Shell Extension.

Now unity mode is working. I'm gonna contact Avira today if they have a solution for this.

0 Kudos
ErwinHeute
Contributor
Contributor

That is very interesting! In fact my configuration is totally different from yours (Intel, XP64, ATI, ...); I'm even using a totally different antivirus product (NOD32 / ESET), but that is indeed also the solution for me: I deinstalled NOD32 and Unity worked right away!

That hard to believe. Seems to be true that they all share a common code.

Erwin

0 Kudos
dw2007
Contributor
Contributor

Wow thanks for that tip -- Uninstalled NOD32 and Unity works fine! -- Was running Nod32 v2.7

Edit - This also fixed a problem where I was unablet o drag and drop files between Host machines and virtual machines.

0 Kudos
mudtoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you uninstall the antivirus program from the host, or from the guest? I tried uninstalling AVG from the host, and it didn't have any effect.

0 Kudos
dw2007
Contributor
Contributor

I uninstalled it from the host computer -- the VM is running Nod32 on it fine

Edit -- just a thought -- nvidia stuff sometimes comes with this nVidia ActiveArmour firewall app. Someone earlier mentioned that changing nvidia drivers fixed the problem. If you have that firewall running then it probably needs to be uninstalled.

I am running the latest Vista x64 drivers (181.22_geforce_winvista_64bit_english_whql) if it helps

0 Kudos
aksnet
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

seems VMWare has some issues with VirusSoftware. But is it now an issue to fix for all the Virus Providers or VMWare ?

Is there anyone from VMWare who can give a comment ?

0 Kudos
dw2007
Contributor
Contributor

Yes -- good question

It would be at least nice to know a list of Antivirus scanners that work with VMware -- What are people that have no issues with this running?

Seems like the problem is more prevalent on 64bit OS/es so perhaps it has to do with the way the virus scanners are work on 64bit Oses

0 Kudos
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

More to the point, why do non of these AV programs throw an error, or dump anything into their logs?

0 Kudos
ErwinHeute
Contributor
Contributor

One final note from my side: at least for the users of ESET/NOD32 V2.x the solution is to upgrade to version 3 (at least for me this solved the problem).

Erwin

0 Kudos
mudtoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgraded to workstation 6.5.2. Still no Unity. Smiley Sad

mudtoe

0 Kudos
rolsch_vm
Contributor
Contributor

- same here: Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit with Intel Quadcore and Nvidia 8800 GTS with actual drivers ?:|

0 Kudos
ErwinHeute
Contributor
Contributor

Did you try to deinstall your anti virus software and try without this?

Erwin

0 Kudos
rolsch_vm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, don't works.

- i use Vista-64bit nvidia 8800gts and latest avast! home.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Has anyone come across a fix for this?

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Please consider awarding points if this post was helpful or correct

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
inuke
Contributor
Contributor

I wish

0 Kudos
Wasser93
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem. Host is Vista SP2 Ultimate 64-bit; CPU is AMD Athlon x2 5600+; antivirus is avast! home edition 4.8; graphics is NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250. I really screwed up. VMWare Workstation not contain "64-bit binaries", but VMWare claims, that it's included. :(. I only hope, that VMWare Workstation 7 will have standalone 64-bit installer for Windows.

So i can constant fact: Unity not work on 64-bit Vista in VMWare Workstation 6.5.2. It's FACT, and i hope, VMWare will fix it and create 64-bit standalone version of his great application.

0 Kudos
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This appears to work on 6.5.3 using similar hardware and similar video card with vista Ultimate 64bit.

So try upgrading to 6.5.3 and see if its fixed for you.

It did work for me.

This is the first time I've been able to use unity mode on Vista 64.

0 Kudos
Wasser93
Contributor
Contributor

Still not working :_| . I only get guset start menu, but unable, to launch something from that. I upgraded to 6.5.3.

Please answer.

Message was edited by: Wasser93

0 Kudos