VMware Communities
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

4k monitor -> screwed up guest resolution. Can't be fixed?

I just got a 4k monitor and tried running VMware Workstation and the first thing that I noticed of course was that the resolution of the guests were also adjusted, making everything on them really tiny and harder to read. There seems to be nothing I can do about this. I've changed the resolution in the guest OS, but all that does is just make the actual window of the guest OS smaller. It doesn't increase the size of the text or anything.

So what I believe I'm looking for is something that'll allow me to choose a smaller resolution in the guest OS and then allow me to scale that to a larger size (to fit the VMware window WITHOUT changing the resolution). I want to stretch its display, pretty much.

I've seen other threads on here and other forums about this exact same problem; however, I haven't run across one solution or one possible solution. Those threads just go unanswered without even a suggestion on how to fix this.

Is there nothing I can do right now to get around this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
aloshka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What I would do is disable DPI Scaling on workstation for now. Right click your vmware workstation icon, compatibility tab, and click "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

It will make for a slightly blurry experience but at least you won't have any issues.

0 Kudos