vlouis
Contributor
Contributor

32 - 64bit issue

hi,

situation here is , i've already setup solaris10 x86 on vmworkstation

i get the error :

" u r running 64 bit guest OS but virtual machine is config to run 32bit "

running thru all available settings ,there isn't a setting to switch the instance 32bit. is there a way there, i can't find it pls enlighten

solaris 10 (experimental) should be 32bit , n it would only allow the solaris 10 disc to setup in 32bit n not getting 64bit files into it rite.

i'm confused !

pls advise

thnks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Workstation 5.5 supports virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems only on host machines that have one of the supported 64-bit processors:

• AMD Athlon 64, revision D or later

• AMD Opteron, revision E or later

• AMD Turion 64, revision E or later

• AMD Sempron, 64-bit-capable revision D or later (experimental support)

• Intel EM64T VT-capable processors (experimental support)

When you power on a virtual machine with a 64-bit guest operating system, Workstation performs an internal check: if the host CPU is not a supported 64-bit processor, you cannot power on the virtual machine. VMware also provides a standalone utility that you can use without Workstation to perform the same check and determine whether your CPU is supported for Workstation virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems. You can download the 64-bit processor check utility from the VMware web site at http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/releasenotes_ws55.html

0 Kudos
vlouis
Contributor
Contributor

i'm running core2

could it be the host os (winxp 32) be the issue ?

other problem :

solaris 10 64bit (experimental support)

i kept getting this error

" virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset)

virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode...in real world would amount to reset..."

would this be somehow related to the host os issue ?

thks

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Did you download the 64-bit processor check utility from the VMware web site at http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html ?

0 Kudos
vlouis
Contributor
Contributor

oh yes, forgot to mention

my cpu is capable of running 64bit

btw i'm running 5.5.1 build-19175

Jan 03 05:10:21: vmui| Log for VMware Workstation pid=1272 version=5.5.1 build=build-19175 option=Release

Jan 03 05:10:21: vmui| HostDeviceInfo: Failed to enumerate host parallel ports via the registry. Could not open device map parallel port registry key.

Jan 03 05:10:21: vmui| HostDeviceInfoFindHostSCSIDevicesViaDosQuery: Could not get SCSI Address for device CdRom5

Jan 03 05:10:22: vmui| HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 1 numThreadsPerCore 1.

Jan 03 05:10:22: vmui| HOSTINFO: This machine has 2 physical CPUS, 2 total cores, and 2 logical CPUs.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

What did the 64-bit processor check utility report?

0 Kudos
vlouis
Contributor
Contributor

vmware 64-bit compatibility check passed

: this host is capable of running 64-bit guest os under vmware product

0 Kudos
pmoore
Contributor
Contributor

Not much help, but I have the same problem. I think the Solaris installer is detecting a 64-bit processor and installing the 64-bit version of the OS.

I'm hoping there's a way to force the installation of 32-bit Solaris 10, as that's what I need (and I'm guessing it may resolve the error you and I are seeing, as well...)

0 Kudos
vlouis
Contributor
Contributor

i run it again ontop win64

still that issue again !

is that an known issue ?

0 Kudos
ziloni
Contributor
Contributor

I think VMWare has trouble detecting 64 bit hosts in many cases:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=67563

Is my thread, its not related but I think what is happening is sometimes on quick start it thinks my host is 32, other times it thinks its 64. Just guessing though.

0 Kudos
jymloke
Contributor
Contributor

So does anyone have a solution to this?

I having the same problem, installing Solaris 10 x86 on Core 2 Duo.

When I install this on non core 2 duo processors, everything just worked...

This is a bit absurd seeing how Core 2 Duo is gaining mainstream usage...

0 Kudos
atucker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In particular, see the part of the pubs.vmware.com page that talks about the Merom processor (code name for Core 2 Duo). You need either Solaris 10 update 3 (11/06) or the patches listed in the notes.

0 Kudos