VMware Communities
greendot
Contributor
Contributor

256 color mode doesn't work

Hello!

I'm using Workstation 6.5.1 on a Windows XP Home 32bit host, and am running a Windows 98SE guest system, with VMware Tools installed. Now, the problem is, whenever I try to switch the color depth of the guest system to 256 colors, all I get is a black screen (on the guest system) and the guest system won't respond, either after I restart the system, or, when I select to not restart, instantly. I (think I) have tried everthing, running Workstation in 256 colors on the host system, even trying the whole thing on a Windows 2000 Professional host system, but no luck, there always comes the black screen and the system freezes.

The problem is, I'm trying to run a program that switches automatically to 256 colors and full screen when launched (or seems to do so). Now, I've discovered that when I uninstall the driver for the display adapter from VMware Tools on the guest system, it seems to work to a certain extent, because, I believe, there is no 256 color option available, so the program cannot switch to 256 color mode. However, because of the lack of driver, the graphics are very slow, which isn't really a solution to the problem.

Any help would be appretiated.

0 Kudos
0 Replies