VMware Communities
cv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2000 server P2V SID creation

Hi,

I'm new to all this.

I'd like to move an existing Windows 2000 Server physical machine and replace it with a Workstation VM. I understand a SID must be created during conversion so the VM is seen correctly in the domain.

Do I have to create the SID myself?

What do I need to do specifically, please?

Also, what version converter should I use? Standalone 4.0.1, or 4.3, or 5?

Thank you,

Chris

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

for Windows 2000 the easiest and best version is Converter 3.0.3
you can create a new SID later if you want - use the tool newsid.exe

Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

cv wrote:

I'd like to move an existing Windows 2000 Server physical machine and replace it with a Workstation VM. I understand a SID must be created during conversion so the VM is seen correctly in the domain.

Doing a P2V conversation I assume that you want to get rid of the old, physical server. In this case why should I change the SID on the new machine? When the conversation is done you can check the VM without network adapter connected to see if it's working. If it's working you shut down the physical one and start the virtual one indeed.

Here's a nice read about SID: http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

So I would not change the SID.

cv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

continuum,

thanks for your tips!

0 Kudos
cv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bernd,

Yes, the server's HD is filling up. So, I want to put it in a vm to free myself from, or at least ease the problem of, the physical disk space limitation.

Regarding the sid, I haven't considered that. Thank you for bringing it up. I think I'll try that.

0 Kudos
cv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just finished this project. :smileyblush: Sorry took so long. Actually, this is the correct answer. Thanks, Bernd. I moved the server and powered off the old one. Can I change the ratings? IDK.

0 Kudos