VMware Communities
MagicalBeard
Contributor
Contributor

16.1 Update Made Windows Server 2019 VM Performance completely unusable.

I updated to 16.1 yesterday, now the performance in my Windows Server 2019 VM is extremely bad, its very very sluggish and the VM can barely run. My other Windows 10 VMs work great as well as my linux VMs. Should I just roll back the patch? 

I have 64GB of host memory and an i9-10900k - so there should be plenty of system resources available (and the VM worked great before the patch).

I saw there was now a VM config option for Server 2019, I switched from Server 2016 to the new option, but it didnt make any difference for my performance problem. 

I also tried setting:

bcdedit.exe /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

It didn't make a difference either.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

If you're sure you are not running under Hyper-V anymore then another thing you can try is to see if you have memory integrity turned on (see this post at the fusion forum)

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Abysmal-Performance-in-Fusion-12-after-u...

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
MagicalBeard
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way I can check on the Hyper-V integration? Im not sure If I ever explicitly installed it or not on my host.

0 Kudos
MagicalBeard
Contributor
Contributor

Alright so it was pretty difficult to troubleshoot, but updating VMware tools inside the VM seems to have fixed the issue. I dont know why performance got so bad in windows server when it was totally fine in my other VM's with the old version of vmware tools but it appears to be ok now. 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

That's some great troubleshooting, thanks for letting us know.

As for the question "How do I see if Hyper-V was removed".

VMTN user BlueFirestorm has an answer for that here:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/MikroTik-RouterOS-boot-speed-is-drastically...

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos