VMware Communities
HJLBX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

15.5 Update Will Not Install

What's the deal with the latest Workstation Pro 15.5 update ?

It downloads, says a system reboot is required to install VC redistributables, but after the reboot it says 15.5 needs to upgrade and the version is still showing 15.1.

The upgrade isn't installing. Not on 1 system but at least 50.

All Windows 10 1903 systems.

6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please see whether manually updating the VC redistributables works (see https://www.vgemba.net/vmware/Workstation-15.5-Install-Error/ )

André

CWestwater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the link to my blog post!

0 Kudos
HJLBX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No that wasn't the fix.

In typical VMWare garbage fashion they never released a note that the update wouldn't install unless you ran VMWare Workstation Pro as an Administrator.

So even though the 15.5 update itself would elevate using UAC, it still wouldn't install. If you launched VMWare as an admin, it would install.

Like I said, typical VMWare garbage.

Uninstalled weeks and weeks ago.

0 Kudos
LeNNyfromNL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I got the same issue during the installation of version 15.5. On the previous versions this was not a issue. Hopefully VMware fixes this in an upcoming release.

The issue is that every time I started the WS installer, it mentiones that due to a VC C++ redist update I needed to restart. After rebooting and trying again, every time the same error. The error during the WS install mentions VMware KB article KB55798.

I solved it by:

• Installing the VC C++ 2015-2019 update, which can be found here.
  • Reboot
  • Start the WS 15.5 installer.

Happy upgrading!

Cheers, Daniel

Daniël Zuthof
Twitter: @DanielZuthof
https://blog.zuthof.nl
Don't forget to mark as solved if your questions are answered.
0 Kudos
dirch201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also had the same issue after rebooting once. I rebooted a second time and then the installer worked.

Win10 pro 1903

0 Kudos
Dan_Essin
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, per HJLBX, if you run the 15.0 app as administrator and then start the update, you will see and entirely different UI and the process will complete nicely.

Irresponsible of them no to include a warning in the update alert to run as Administrator when you attempt to get it.

0 Kudos