VMware Communities
Pheckphul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

15.5.7 Shared VMs stopped working after update to Ubuntu v20.04.4

I've been running Workstation 15.5.x without major problems since initially setting up this Ubuntu 20.04 system. A few days ago I updated to 20.04.4 (with kernel 5.4.0-110-generic) and Shared VMs stopped working. I uninstalled Workstation and removed all settings and re-installed it without avail. When opening Shared VMs in preferences the checkbox is checked for "Enable virtual machine sharing and remote access" and the correct custom non-privleged port is specified. However, the "Connecting to Workstation Server..." message eventually changes to "Unable to connect to the workstation server. Please ensure that the server is running and that you are authorized to connect."

Non-shared VMs function as expected. The only problem I'm having is with Shared VMs.

I have checked that vmware-hostd is running, and it is, as well as it is listening on the specified port via netstat. The system isn't running a firewall.

There are a number of warnings and three errors in the hostd.log file. The error that jumps out at me as related is:

2022-05-23T18:14:38.357-07:00 error hostd[61337] [Originator@6876 sub=SoapAdapter.HTTPService] accept failure N7Vmacore24InvalidArgumentExceptionE(Invalid argument)
--> [context]zKq7AVECAQAAAAIFBgEOaG9zdGQAAPYdPmxpYnZtYWNvcmUuc28AAI+jHADpFxsASrkWAJvpKgA1ly8AdJgvAEmbLwA+nSsABRIrAIhLKwDP9TgBCYYAbGlicHRocmVhZC5zby4wAAIz8RFsaWJjLnNvLjYA[/context] on stream <io_obj p:0x0000556c02db94d8, h:-1, <TCP '0.0.0.0 : 0'>, <TCP '0.0.0.0 : 0'> FD Closed>

Here is a pastebin of the entire log:

https://pastebin.com/ynSa5iN1

I originally had it as a 'spoiler' in this message, but I think that is what got it labeled as 'spam.'

I would really appreciate some help with this. I'm pretty frustrated with banging my against this.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Pheckphul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I resolved the issue. Turned out to be a permissions problem that I created unwittingly while coping with a change Ubuntu made to their Samba package vis-a-vis sssd and winbindd. 

Thank you for taking the time to check out my post asking for help. Sorry to waste your time. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Pheckphul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I resolved the issue. Turned out to be a permissions problem that I created unwittingly while coping with a change Ubuntu made to their Samba package vis-a-vis sssd and winbindd. 

Thank you for taking the time to check out my post asking for help. Sorry to waste your time. 

0 Kudos