VMware Communities
Bradall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

15.1 to 15.5 Upgrade unsuccessful needed to recover entire machine

I knew I should not have hit that update button. I've just rolled my entire machine back to its previous state after attempting to upgrade from 15.1 to 15.5. Other than the x86 C whatever redistribution and the reboot the upgrader sat for just over 75 minutes supposedly upgrading my network adapters. Or so it said. At the end of it VMNet1 and 8 where no where to be seen. None of my VMs would start up properly. Guess because there was no network. Rolled the machine back to 15.1 and kill yet another hour of my time.

Seems I'll be staying well away from trying this again as I simply don;t have time to be a beta tester. Maybe at the end of year break I'll review an by then the bugs may have been sorted out.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello, Bradall

Thanks a lot for your posting here and sorry for the upgrading issue you run into. No vmnet1 and vmnet8 installed maybe caused by it cannot stop previous network related services during upgrading.process because of complicated host environment.

Bradall, I think this issue could be resolved by rebooting the host after uninstalling the workstation by manual. Could you please take some time to try below steps:

1. Uninstall workstation by manual

2. Reboot host

3. Reinstall workstation

If there still is the issue of vmnet1 and vmnet8 installation, Please kindly upload the log file "C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log" for further investigation. Hope this help. Thanks again.

0 Kudos