VMware Communities
ycraighead
Contributor
Contributor

12.5 bug: Black screen when restoring snapshot

Since updating to VMware Worksation 12.5.0 build 4352439, when reverting multiple snapshots i noticed that only the one "on top" would work, the rest would just be a black screen until VM was rebooted or snapshot was re-applied while the window stayed visible. It appears this is an issue when reverting snapshots one at a time also, the VM tab you are reverting must stay active and be the one displayed when the restore completes. If another VM tab is open over the top of a reverting snapshot when it completes, it will go to an unresponsive black screen.

I usually have 6+ VM tabs running on three separate SSDs, reverting them all several times an hour and all 6 at the same time on occasion. Now i have to slow down and wait for each snapshot to complete before doing anything in another VM. May be somewhat of a corner case, but it is really getting on my nerves Smiley Sad. Wish i could easily roll back to the previous version, this was never an issue before i updated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ycraighead
Contributor
Contributor

I've been occasionally getting the black screen now even while waiting for the snapshot to complete, without touching anything. Though this does not reproduce often. Steps that reproduce this issue for me 100% of the time:

1. Run two VMs using two tabs in the same WMware Worksation window.

2. Restore snapshot in one tab, then switch to the other.

3. When snapshot operation finishes, switch back to the restored snapshot tab. Should be on a black screen.

All of my snapshots were created in version 12, so I will try re-creating them with 12.5 soon to see if the issue persists, but i suspect that it will.

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, ycraighead:

Thanks for your feedback!

I just tested on my Win10 host with two VMs, Win10VM and Fedora24VM. But I can not reproduce the black screen accroding to your steps.

What is your host system?

0 Kudos
ycraighead
Contributor
Contributor

Hey yanw, thanks for trying!

My host machine is W10, my guest OSes are all various flavors of Windows. Recently it's been W10, 8.1, and 8 primarily. All are snapped to a running state, and i have not yet updated VMware tools on these.

I always use Console view (not full screen), and i have the Fit Guest Now option applied before taking snapshot.

I have a lot of snapshots on each, this weekend i'll catch up with Windows updates on all of the guest OSes, clean them up and take snapshots from 12.5, and update the tools. i'll report back on Monday Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ycraighead
Contributor
Contributor

Bug still exists Smiley Sad seems to have something to do with snapping to a running VM with Fit Guest Now applied, while window is hidden by another VM.

0 Kudos