VMware Communities
TimRMS
Contributor
Contributor

1 Windows OS with 2 Computers

Simple answer is get a high power laptop.

But ...

I want a high performance computer in 2 different locations. I want to run one instance of Windows 10 , one set of files and programs. I have a somewhat high perf laptop and a a high perf desktop. I run Workstation Pro on both. I have Linux 14.04 and 18.04 VMs I run on both (not same time). I copy VM files between machines when needed. Workstation pro complains a bit , but works.

I want 2 high perf desktop computers (2 4k screen) in 2 physically different locations. What to avoid transporting desktop back and forth. Plus a laptop.

One idea is 2 desktop hi perf machines, each running (perhaps Linux) running Workstation Pro. Linux and Windows VMs residing on a fast external hard drive that gets shuttled back and forth between locations..

Is there a better solution?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Run VM on one system locally, remote to it from the other. I do similar using SSL VPN to connect the LAN's.

0 Kudos
TimRMS
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting.

But I do need to connect to local USB devices.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't recall. mentioning USB devices. Sorry, don't understand. 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It is possible to use a VM on an external disk and then use that VM from two different workstations.
However there are a few side notes:

1) Storing VM's on an external disk is a bit fragile. Not so much because of the disk itself, but because the disk can be disconnected. For example when there's a bad connection, a bad wire or simply because someone yanks the cord. While the VM usually survives something like it, it might also become corrupted beyond repair. Having a good (and regular) backup is important.

2) You can loose your external disk.. Be it theft or be it accidental. Your data might end up somewhere else. You might want to consider encrypting the VM (Personally I prefer in guest encryption as that keeps things portable)

3) Your hardware should be similar. If the CPU's of the hosts are of a very different time frame then a windows guest VM might complain that it no longer is activated. Also note that the CPU's should be from the same vendor.

4) Did I say have backups?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
TimRMS
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Wila,

Sorry for delay responding. I responded , but ...

Is there a solution using Vimalin?

Can I put a backup of the VMs on an external disk and then do a restore to "sync"?

P.S. I'm using Workstation Pro on Windows 10

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

No problem.

Yes, that is indeed a supported scenario for Vimalin.

There's a Reload button in the disk target screen that you can use to import backups made by another host.

See this page https://www.vimalin.com/documentation/windows/configuring-set-a-backup-target/ near the bottom "Advanced options".

I didn't mention that as it wasn't really your question.

This also works between VMware Workstation and VMware Fusion (or workstation and Player).

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos