VMware Communities
VBFD034
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1 NIC dedicated to VM

Hello,

This seems pretty trivial to me but I just can't seem to figure out how to set it up. I'm sorry in advance if this is extremely obvious. I've been looking around online for literature to educate myself but have been unable to find the exact correct settings to make this work. Likely I'm using incorrect terminology.

Host OS is: Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.630 FEP 120.2212.31.0

Host hardware in brief is: Asus Zenith Extreme, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X, and g.Skill DDR4-2132

My VM is Ubuntu 20.04

I'm wanting to run my host on WiFi and have my mainboard integrated ethernet dedicated to my VM. They are running two completely different networks. The wired connection is extremely high security, static ip and extremely slow and it is only required for some business based applications where as my WiFi connections are typical home base ISP.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_CJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You'll need to go to "Edit -> Virtual Network Manager" and "Add Network" and make it a Bridged type (you'll need Admin privilege).  It should look something like this but you'll need to specify the device in your system.

The problem you'll have is when you restart your host OS, Widows will select the best available network interface -and that will most likely be your wired connection.  There is a way to set the interface metric but, I haven't gotten around to that.  When you shut down the system, you could disable the wired interface and only turn it back on once you're ready to start the VM.   Windows might start to automatically use the wired interface once it's turned on so, keep an eye on that.  If that happens, you'll need to tweak the interface metric.

Ray_CJ_0-1606848310862.png

Ray C

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Ray_CJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You'll need to go to "Edit -> Virtual Network Manager" and "Add Network" and make it a Bridged type (you'll need Admin privilege).  It should look something like this but you'll need to specify the device in your system.

The problem you'll have is when you restart your host OS, Widows will select the best available network interface -and that will most likely be your wired connection.  There is a way to set the interface metric but, I haven't gotten around to that.  When you shut down the system, you could disable the wired interface and only turn it back on once you're ready to start the VM.   Windows might start to automatically use the wired interface once it's turned on so, keep an eye on that.  If that happens, you'll need to tweak the interface metric.

Ray_CJ_0-1606848310862.png

Ray C

Ray_CJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Quick update...  To force Windows to use a particular interface, change the metrics like what's shown below.

Find this window in your host OS and tweak the metric.  Widows will automatically use the interface with the lowest metric.  Put the interface dedicated for your host at metric 1 and the VM-dedicated interface to 2.  When you boot-up the host, it will not steal the dedicated interface.  When you start VMware and subsequently the guest, it will forcibly grab the interface you assigned in the virtual network editor.

Ray_CJ_0-1606851479204.png

Also, for the TCP/IP settings of the interface dedicated to the guest, you can prevent dual homing by leaving the interface enabled and turning off both IPV6 and IPV4 and, leave the interface administratively enabled.   When the guest OS is started, it will get assigned an IP address (assuming DHCP is turned on in the guest settings) by the local router or DHCP server.  Doing this will prevent the interface from being assigned an IP address first when the host comes up and a second IP address when the VM guest comes up.  This ultimately keeps the host more secure with fewer exposed IP addresses.

Ray C

VBFD034
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Amazing. This is working perfectly. Very detailed and easy to follow. Thank you so much for your assistance with this. I hope this helps many people to come.

0 Kudos