VMware Communities
Brodie1310
Contributor
Contributor

000001.vmdk and 000002.vmdk

Hi guys, wondering if you can shed some light on how these 000001/2.vmdk files work. Running Vmware workstation and I have a guest OS with one virtual hard drive. From inside the OS (Server 2k3) it is only showing 25.3GB's used, however I have 3 different vmdk files. The snapshot manager isn't showing anything so I don't understand why they exist. I have:

• server01.vmdk - 23.0 GB - Not quite enough to be the entirety of used space
  • server01-000001.vmdk - 31.6 GB - Too big
  • server01-000002.vmdk - 3.32 GB - Tiny?

In addition to this, going into the VM settings shows server01-000002.vmdk as being set as the hard drive, but when starting the VM I get .lck folders for all 3 files.

Is it possible to find out what I do and don't need? Or merge these into the one file? I've tried defragmenting and compacting, but have had no change. I'm running Vmware workstation 9.0.1

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vipinvk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

it's most likely just the .vmsd file which needs to be rebuilt. Please compress/zip the VM's .vmx, .vmsd and the vmware.log file and attach the .zip archive to a reply post (you need to switch to the advanced editor to be able to attach files).

André

0 Kudos
Brodie1310
Contributor
Contributor

a.p.: Thankyou very much for taking the time to help me out, I've attached the files as requested.

vipinvk: Cheers! I'll have a read through

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Basically it would be easy to re-create a .vmsd file. However, what's confusing me is that the virtual disk shows up as "independent-persistent". With this setting the virtual disk should be unaffected from snapshots. Can you please explain whether this VM has been modified manually and how? I'd also like to see a list of files in the VM's folder (e.g. the output of dir *.* /one).

André

0 Kudos