VMware Communities
sanketgroup
Contributor
Contributor

0 Byte VMDK file after power failure- VMWare workstation

Hello

VMware was running and suddenly due to power fault PC got restarted directly. When i logged in to windows OS, i found that VMware is not booting up and found that VMDK file is 0 bytes.

Following folder structure and files. There was around 70gb data in vmdk file. Suddenly it became 0 bytes.

Lot of important data was there. Pls Pls help how can i get back this thing working.

564d672b-edee-1b55-0284-2325a116f10e.vmem6GB
vmware.log1242KB
vmware-0.log561KB
vmware-1.log10292KB
vmware-2.log1109KB
vprintproxy.log170KB
Windows 7 x64 (SQL).nvram9KB
Windows 7 x64 (SQL).vmdk0KB
Windows 7 x64 (SQL).vmsd0KB
Windows 7 x64 (SQL).vmx4KB
Windows 7 x64 (SQL).vmxf4KB
Windows 7 x64 (SQL)-748c3693.vmem6GB

564d672b-edee-1b55-0284-2325a116f10e.vmem.lck(Folder)
Windows 7 x64 (SQL).vmdk.lck(Folder)
Windows 7 x64 (SQL)-748c3693.vmem.lck(Folder)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
first of all stop using the physical disk with the partition in which the VM was stored immedieatly.
Hopefully you used a data-disk so that should be easy.
If the disk also has the Windows-directories this is less convenient -- but necessary.

Next step is to use a recovery-software like UFS-explorer or Getdataback or Ontracks EasyRecovery.

You must run such tools from a second disk so when the vmdk was stored in C:\ get a LiveCD or use another computer.

You need a full bucket of luck in this case. I expect that the vmdk was highly fragmented so this can be quite a challenge and take a few days.I would offer assistance if you were using ESXi but in this case I would do the same as I already mentioned: try different Recoverytools and use the "Search deleted / lost files function"

Good luck

Ulli

0 Kudos
sanketgroup
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, i was reading some posts where it says how to fix corrupted vmdk. (empty vmdk -320kb, and some other methods)

but as you saying, i dont think that would work for me.

right?

this is nightmare for me, worried if i can recover vmdk for recovery softs and if i do would it work properly and boot VM.

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

A nightmare ? - important stuff missing ?
If it is really so important call me - I have a look and see how to you started.
Hope you already stopped using that disk by for example removing the driveletter.

Do I assume right and you used a growing type vmdk ?
Dont store important stuff inside growable vmdks - a defragmented preallocated vmdk is almost as good as the hosts filesystem itself.
But growing types are too fragile - the larger they are the worse it gets.

If you want to call - do so asap

Ulli

0 Kudos
sanketgroup
Contributor
Contributor

can i have your contact number pls?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Ulli's Skype handle is in his signature!

0 Kudos
sanketgroup
Contributor
Contributor

thanx.

trying him via skype, but not able to contact him. Waiting to accept my skype contact invitation.

0 Kudos
deliad
Contributor
Contributor

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! IN 2021

VMware Workstation 16.1

the flat file became 0 kbytes but the host disk space that the vmdk sits on remained the same

is there any solution??

0 Kudos