VMware Communities
donnell8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

windows nt 4.0

I am a chemistry student at the college of new jersey. I am doing research with a biosystems voyager DE Time of Flight mass spectrometer. Unfortunately the system is running and can only be run on windows nt 4.0. I am an absolute novice with vmware...ive toyed around with the ubuntu system that was recommended in pcworld about a year ago but I don't know what to do with it other than using that one os. I wish to learn how to run windows 4.0 nt as a guest os on one of the computers in the same room as the mass spec. Before anyone asks...due to the questionable abilities of the IT department none of the computers are networked to communicate with the computer hooked up to the mass spec. However my issue lies within operating the data program that comes with the control panel of the mass spec. In order to get crisp clear peaks onto a power point slide it is best to use the data program that ISN'T compatible with XP. Again I have no idea what I am doing. Can anyone tell me where I can find a windows nt 4.0 appliance and how to install it on a comp running xp??? I know I'm asking a lot due to the broadness of my question. As usual, any help would be great. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Shawn

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
skrodahl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows NT 4.0 is a commercial operating system, so you will need a license to run it.

Thus, you will not be able to find any (legal) NT4 appliances for download.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
skrodahl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows NT 4.0 is a commercial operating system, so you will need a license to run it.

Thus, you will not be able to find any (legal) NT4 appliances for download.

0 Kudos
donnell8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok. Well first, thanks for your response. Second, what if I had or bought a copy of windows nt 4.0 how would I make it executable with vmware?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you did have a legal copy of the NT4 CD, you install it just like your would any other machine.

Treat your virtual machine like any other physical machine. If you have a "new" physical machine and you want to install NT4 on it, you power up the physical machine and insert the CD. Same for the virtual machine. :smileyblush:

donnell8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

wow thats pretty cool...i'll have to hunt down that god-awful os and try it. Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You shouldn't have any trouble running it. I have a few NT 4.0 servers and an NT 4.0 workstation running in VMs for support work and they are rock solid.

Regards!

donnell8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey thanks for the reply. Do you know what file in NT that I should download the sp6a into? I can't download vmtools without it being updated for some reason. Thanks!

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
donnell8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks but what folder do I put it in?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's not a single file that you "copy to Windows." It's an executable that you run. Download it anywhere you want (i.e.: Desktop,) run it and the executable will download and extract all the necessary files to the appropriate places.

donnell8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks...one more question....is it the i86? or the other one?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

x86. You may want to read some of the history on NT4 so that you'll see where the terms "x86" and "alpha" come from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

0 Kudos
donnell8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

wow thanks a lot...i have a new problem!!!! i know im asking a lot...so if you have time here it is, if not its okay....I made a new nt 4.0 machine and now when i am trying to install it setup wont go further because it "can't find my hard drive." I also get an error every time even when setup up goes through that states that parallel 0 can not start or something like that....what does that mean?

0 Kudos
donnell8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok...I started this machine with windows nt 4.0 sp1. I tried installing sp6/sp6a...which then leads to windows cancelling it and telling me i need ie 3 or higher...so then i tried installing sp (i forget; i think it may be 4 or 5). I have no idea what to do...this is so unbelievably confusing. I have no idea what to do now...I am so confused. If anyone wants to remotely control my comp and show me how to do this that would be great...but a suggestion to this next problem would be just as adequate. Thanks and sorry to keep posting trivial questions.

Shawn

0 Kudos
skrodahl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To update Windows NT 4.0 (or, indeed, any version of Windows) go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

I simply do not remember if Remote Desktop Connection exists on NT.

If it doesn't, you can use Virtual Network Computing (VNC) to remote control your virtual machine.

VNC can be found here: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/dtg/attarchive/vnc/index.html

For more info, look to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC

0 Kudos
donnell8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But the problem is that I can't connect to the internet on my host (nt) due to the fact that i can't install vmtools without sp6a.

0 Kudos