VMware Communities
jkester
Contributor
Contributor

where are log files

Hi

i have a 3.1.3 vmplayer that keeps on crashing with gui. Where are log files of vmplayer that might provide me a hint?

Jan.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

There are .log files created in the folder the .vmx file is in for each Virtual Machine and additional .log file locations depends on your Host OS and since you didn't say I'd suggest you use the Search or Find functions within the Host OS searching for *.log and see what you find.

0 Kudos
jkester
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Sometimes the UI crashes when creating new VM image. So the VM and its files are not even there.

I am using Ubuntu. I noticed that there are quite some files under /tmp/vmware-<username>. I for instance have seen a player-.log file here.

Maybe these log files tell me why my gui is crashing?

Regards, Jan.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you'd create a zip archive of /tmp/vmware-<username> and attach it to a reply post I'll review the .log files.

0 Kudos
jkester
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I appreciate your help.

Attached you will find log files for my user jan (/tmp/vmware-jan).

I am using bundle 3.1.3 on ubuntu 9.10, and just went to one image, edit settings, and removed one of the CD devices.

On save, it does not only close the edit settings window, but the whole application.

Inside the player*log you see some trace settings, so indeed the UI of the player crashed.

0 Kudos