VMware Communities
iatttmp
Contributor
Contributor

want to use fedora 13 guest under Win7 without vmware tools

VMWare tools change the linux kernel but the linux-based tools I'm using don't like this at all. So, I'd like to give it a go without vmware tools. But, from what I can tell, I can't see shared folders. The vmplayer help talks about mounting shared folders in linux, but not the preconditions for being able to do this. Is there a trick to using shared folders without vmware tools that I'm missing?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The VMware Shared Folders feature requires VMware Tools be installed however you can always use normal SBM/CIFS Shares instead.

0 Kudos
iatttmp
Contributor
Contributor

hi woodyz,

did you mean smb?

If so, then i take it i'd need to install an smb client on fedora and mount windows shares published under windows in the usual way.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

did you mean smb?

If so, then i take it i'd need to install an smb client on fedora and mount windows shares published under windows in the usual way.

From WikipediA:

In computer networking, Server Message Block (SMB), also known as Common Internet File System (CIFS) operates as an application-layer network protocol[1] mainly used to provide shared access to files, printers, serial ports, and miscellaneous communications between nodes on a network. It also provides an authenticated inter-process communication mechanism. Most usage of SMB involves computers running Microsoft Windows, where it was known as "Microsoft Windows Network" before the subsequent introduction of Active Directory.

So, enable a Host Sharepoint and then access it via Samba from the Guest.  IIRC Fedora 13 should already have Samba installed although you may have to enable it.

0 Kudos