VMware Communities
M0t1x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

.vmx file not found, functional VM

Hello everyone,

I have downloaded and installed the VMware package from kali.org and unpacked it with 7zip into my C:/ drive. As far as I'm aware, the VM is fully functional, and now I want to turn off side channel mitigation. My Problem is that I cannot locate the .vmx file, only a .vmxf file. 

I have never relocated the VM, it was unpacked into C:/. The .vmxf file seems to reference the .vmx but there is no .vmx file in the folder.

The content of the .vmxf:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Foundry>
<VM>
<VMId type="string">52 47 54 a3 d7 44 44 88-8e e9 37 25 15 d0 9c 44</VMId>
<ClientMetaData>
<clientMetaDataAttributes/>
<HistoryEventList/></ClientMetaData>
<vmxPathName type="string">kali-linux-2022.3-vmware-amd64.vmx</vmxPathName></VM></Foundry>

I am using Windows 11 Home 21H2 as my host OS on a Microsoft Surface Pro 8.
My vOS is kali-linux-2022.3, made for VMWare, downloaded on https://www.kali.org/get-kali/#kali-virtual-machines

I've also discovered that I am unable to change any settings in the App itself (under "Player" in the top left > manage > Virtual Machine Settings) doesn't matter if the VM is up or not.

I have really no idea what to do or where to even look for a solution, so I am posting this here.

Thank you for reading this,

M0tix

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please run dir *.* /one > filelist.txt in the VM's folder, and attach the filelist.txt to your next reply.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Which VMware product are you using to run the VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just to rule that out: In case of viewing the files in Windows Explorer, disable the "Hide file name extensions ..." option.

André

0 Kudos
M0t1x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@scott28tt wrote:

Which VMware product are you using to run the VM?

I'm using VMware Workstation 16 Player.

@a_p_  wrote:

Just to rule that out: In case of viewing the files in Windows Explorer, disable the "Hide file name extensions ..." option.

André

Yeah, I have my filenames enabled.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please run dir *.* /one > filelist.txt in the VM's folder, and attach the filelist.txt to your next reply.

André

0 Kudos
M0t1x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much, this seems to have fixed it. I did run this command before, but that was before I ran the VM for the first time. After running it this time, the .vmx showed up and I was able to find it in the file explorer.

I have no clue what caused that, and maybe I'm just blind and wasting your time, but I thank you both for helping me.

0 Kudos