VMware Communities
greenmtnsun
Contributor
Contributor

vmware with RDP without vmplayer per se

I want to RDP to my chrome and windows 7 vm without my host pc having to launch them first as player sessions and leaving them open.  I can get to them just fine, but once I close the vmware player, the RDP sessions get closed as well.  Is there a way to get the vm's running in the background so that they can get RDP'd to from my pcs in my HOME network without seperate vmware player application windows open?

Hope that makes sense.  I guess what I am trying to do is open up new RDP sessions like I do when I am at work, I just go to my RDP client and get on in.  Obviously at work we use the server enterprise product, but I'm hoping I can do something similar here since I have a really powerful PC.  Please tell me player supports the sessions in the background???

Thanks,

Keith

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Basically what you what is to run the Virtual Machine as a Service and this is not supported in VMware Player however it is with the no longer developed VMware Server which also is a free product.  Per a post made by dork_lord, a VMware employee, (Re: Need VMWare Workstation 7.1.4 to start with server) the upcoming VMware Workstation 8 will be able to do that.

There are unsupported ways of running a Virtual Machine as a service using vmrun however it's not a true service and has the potential to corrupt the Virtual Machine if you're not careful and you can search the forums and or Google but you're on you own since it's totally unsupported and not without risks.

greenmtnsun
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not thrilled with the outcome, but at least I have my answer!!!  Thanks! 

0 Kudos
stinklyonion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it is better to get used to it for a while until they add another feature to make anything you need to work. you can always ask for a request, but always hope not to be considered.http://posting.info.tm/wink.gif

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I doubt that VMware will implement being able to run a Virtual Machine as a Service via VMware Player in the reasonably foreseeable future.

0 Kudos
fivemedia
Contributor
Contributor

VMware feeds the need for desktop virtualization by U.S. Federal Agencies which aids the federal IT in managing software, handling desktops as cloud-based service, application deployment and numerous other tasks.

http://v12ntoday.com/blogposts/cloud-computing-services-enabled-by-vmware-to-u-s-federal-agencies.ht...

0 Kudos