VMware Communities
defaria
Contributor
Contributor

vmware-vmx uses 40-80% of my CPU while guest does nothing

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop and have vmplayer running a Windows 7 guest OS. The Windows 7 running vmplayer however constantly takes between 40-80% of the CPU. There is nothing really happening in the Windows 7 instance. This seems to be too high. What can I do to debug/fix this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CharlieJordan
Contributor
Contributor

Had a similar problem.  So far, the solution that works best for me seems to be to kill and/or restart Adobe flash in the guest OS.  In my case, this means restarting the browser in the guest OS...

0 Kudos
defaria
Contributor
Contributor

But I'm not running a browser at all nor am I running flash - all I run is Playon.

0 Kudos
Tyomni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have You checked guest OS's task manager? Maybe some background process?

VM or Not to VM...?

That is the question!

0 Kudos
defaria
Contributor
Contributor

Process Explorer reports that the guest (4 CPUs - 2 Gig memory) is hovering @ around 98% idle.

0 Kudos
anthonyhildoer
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a similar problem with ESXI 5.0. I have four ubuntu 12.04.1 64bit guests. All with 2 virtual CPUs and between 1gb and 2gb each. Somtimes, one of the hosts is reported to be using nearly 5ghz of CPU, even then when I log into the guest OS and run top, the system is at 98%-99% idle. I have logging enabled on that virtual machine, and the only things in the logs anywhere near the time of the CPU spike is "vmx| GuestRpcSendTimedOut: message to toolbox timed out." This happens every time. The problem occurs every 10-12 hours consistently.

0 Kudos