VMware Communities
arcolino
Contributor
Contributor

vmware tools running cant find vmware server

hello, myself and another tech is the new techs at this shop, they have things all over the place. we found a vmware tools on a virtual machine. how do you trace back  to the server, there is nothing in the tools that has where the server is? is this normal is there a way? thanks for all the feedback. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

... is this normal is there a way?

Yes to both. The VM does not need to know that it is running as a VM at all and therefore the physical host is not relevant. To find out on which host the VM is currently running you'd have to ask the administrators.

André

0 Kudos
arcolino
Contributor
Contributor

lol we are the admins, as it stated in my earlier post, we are the new techs admins. the previous techs did not leave any info. is there a way to find out what the vm server address is etc? I understand how vm works trying to trace down the server info so I can increase resources etc. any ideas?

0 Kudos
Tyomni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Means all You can do is nervously smoking in the corner!

0 Kudos
arcolino
Contributor
Contributor

I bet not, plus I do not smoke lol  

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, you may be able to do a network trace from the MAC address of the guest's virtual network card.  If you can see what port on what switch the vNIC is connected to, you can trace out what physical server is plugged into that port.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Either follow RDPetruska's recommendation or try to get an overview of the physical systems and try to find the host by the CPU type which is shown in the VM (this is the hosts's CPU).

Btw. do you know which VMware product is used for virtualization? ESXi, VMware Server, ... (because you posted in the VMware Player forum)

André

0 Kudos
arcolino
Contributor
Contributor

its the only forum the system allowed me to post in, I tried to post in the server section said something about not allowed etc. 

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Some of the forums are top-level aggregate forums, and you can only post in the sub-forums...

WHAT VMware product and version are you using?  We can move to the appropriate forum (and give a better answer) based on your response...

0 Kudos
arcolino
Contributor
Contributor

Thank RDPetruska u da man!

the vmware tools properties shows vmware tools for windows ver 7.7.6 build-203138.

0 Kudos