VMware Communities
avmad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware tools install question

Hello all,

I have recently installed vmware player 3.0.0.Build-203739 and I now have a Win XP pro guest running on my Win XP pro host.

I was initially having problems getting the vmware tools to download as each time I was prompted to download them, the player would tell me that it couldn't see the server(even though I was verifiably online).

Today when I entered the VM, I was prompted to download the tools and this time, the download seemed to start (at least, there was no error and the progress bar indicated that the download had worked).

Current state is that inside my VM menu, it now says "Cancel vmware tools installation" presumably implying that the install is still progressing. However, this same message has been there for about six hours now.

Can anyone tell me whether this install is still running, pending or whatever? Do i need to do anything to know that the install has completed?

Thanks for your help!

-

avmad

-

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tom2k8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I've met the same issue, but the tools only got downloaded and nothing more.

In the status-bar of the guest you see the VMWare logo, but with a yellow triangle stating that an upgrade of the VMWare Tools is avaliable.

If you see in the VM menu the phrase 'Cancel' do so and then do an 'Install VMWare tools'. Changes are great that it now works. You HAVE just downloaded VMWare Tools, but they should be installed by yourself.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tom2k8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I've met the same issue, but the tools only got downloaded and nothing more.

In the status-bar of the guest you see the VMWare logo, but with a yellow triangle stating that an upgrade of the VMWare Tools is avaliable.

If you see in the VM menu the phrase 'Cancel' do so and then do an 'Install VMWare tools'. Changes are great that it now works. You HAVE just downloaded VMWare Tools, but they should be installed by yourself.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the VM menu says "Cancel VMware Tools Installation", then that means that you are ready to actually install Tools in your guest OS (so the download should have been a success).

1. The downloaded Tools installer disc image has been downloaded and mounted on the virtual machine.

2. In your Windows guest OS, open Windows Explorer and browse for the drive that corresponds with your virtual CD/DVD device (probably the 😧 drive).

3. Find "setup.exe" amongst the mounted image files and run it.

4. Follow the wizard to complete Tools installation.

If you do click "Cancel VMware Tools Installation", the menu item text will change back to "Install". If you click that again (which will mount the ISO again), you should see a yellow bar with interactive text appear at the bottom of Player. This instructional UI will guide you to complete Tools installation (following pretty much the steps I said above).

avmad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you both!

I browsed for setup and was able to run the install.

I can now map my host drives which was my original goal.

Thanks!

-

avmad

-

0 Kudos