VMware Communities
wheiden92130
Contributor
Contributor

vmware player update fails

After my Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS software was updated, when I tried to start my vmware player I received a message that several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel. When I clicked the install button, I got the error message "Unable to install all modules. See log ... for details. (Exit code 1)". I don't know how to interpret the log. I tried to install the 16.2.3 version over my existing version and had the same problem. How do I fix this problem so the software runs ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

A search of the forum would have saved you some time and a post.

Technogeezer_0-1658169053841.png

The second hit on the search will help you.  See https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/VMWare-Kernel-Module-Updater-failed/m-p/...

You need to download the updated files noted in this post, and follow the procedure for compiling and updating the kernel modules.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
wheiden92130
Contributor
Contributor

That fixed the problem, thanks.  Is this likely to be a one time thing or will future OS updates require me to do the same fix ?

0 Kudos
wheiden92130
Contributor
Contributor

Spoke too soon.  When I try to open a New Window, I get "Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory. Please make sure that the kernel module 'vmmon' is loaded." How to I get past this ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Wait for VMplayer 16.2.4 - see
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/VMware-engineers-and-documentation-authors/...

Ulli

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

So.. wait for an update.

Meanwhile... you can reboot your ubuntu host into the previous kernel and run VMware Player without needing to resort to any manual patching.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
feisan100
Contributor
Contributor

thank you very much.It worked.

0 Kudos